Recent content by The Parasprinter

1. The Parasprinter

Drum Making

Some drum building questions I've been wondering about. No plans on actually doing this, but I've always been curious to see if I could someday make my own set of drums. 1.) Seems like every custom company uses Keller shells. Are these good quality, or are they fairly generic since they seem...
  2. The Parasprinter

Bass Drum to Floor Tom Conversion Kit

I see a lot of those kits around where you can convert a floor tom to a small bass drum. Are there any kits out there that do the opposite? I'm thinking of converting a 20x18 bass into a large floor tom. I guess anything that converted a rack tom to a floor tom would possibly work for the...
  3. The Parasprinter

Ghost Notes

So..... what are they? I know that sounds stupid, but I'm self-taught & don't know the terminology. When I used to play in drumlines, 'ghost note' meant a stroke that was stopped just before the stick hit the drum; used as a visual effect and/or timing device. Anyway, I hear the term a lot on...
  4. The Parasprinter

wierd bass pitch problem

So I've got 2 bass drums, a 22x18 and a 24x18, identical everything else. I have them open at two different pitches.... sort of a tympani effect. Problem is, the 22 comes across as lower than the 24, both in recordings and live. Seems the same no matter how I tune/muffle/mic them. Any ideas...
  5. The Parasprinter

6'' Toms

Anybody know what companies make 6'' toms for drumsets? I've got a Mapex Pro-M kit, but unfortunately, Mapex doesn't make a 6'' drum and there are rumors of them discontinuing the Pro-M line completely. I saw a kit on this forum where a guy had made one out of the shot drum from a marching...