Recent content by tfgretsch

1. T

What's better

sometimes this quote from Jim Chapin helps me to keep moving forward on the drums "There's no sense in becoming a technical giant if you're not also a musical giant. some of the best players that i know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well "
  2. T

What's better

great post uncle larry, i think their are 2 main factors in this 1) as human beings this is how our brain is initially designed ,not to say we dont change over our lifetime. 2) i think this also depends on the enviorment you grow up in,your parents teaching,and your lifes experiences...
  3. T

Best heads for Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage

i have a regular yamaha stage custom birch kit ,16x22 bd, toms 12x8 ,16x16 . ihave evans clear EC2's batters and clear g1's reso heads on bottom,they sound great warm,good attack,punchy. bd evans e mad batter evans reso front head with hole, drums sound great.
  4. T

Great art comes from great pain

(y)
  5. T

Great art comes from great pain

Very hard question ,I think to try and answer this i would look at 2 people one who has given great art from great pain and the other who has given great art without great pain , and study the the two people, and come to a conclusion.
  6. T

ANY drumset players who play percussion?

Mike great post glad you are enjoying your percussion passion. You have inspired me to follow a hidden passion that is coming out of me , playing percussion. Its funny sometimes i feel guilty practicing on my congas instead of going to the drumset. maybe its because i just added a 2nd drum...
  7. T

Bruce Keep it up !!
  8. T

Drum Teacher Time-Wasting?

you answered your on questions !!
  9. T

Beatles vid I never saw before.

I guess you really are our uncle larry ! thanks for making my day !great clip, never seen it before,i think this is the best performance of their early days. their sound is very organic and natural. love ringo's right hand. i think its also the first time i have seen his rack tom tilted...
  10. T

thanks paul your information has opened me up to new ideas in my conga playing
  11. T

yea BOZ. that would warm up the weather around there !
  12. T

good info thanks. i have thought about a Cajon.it would be alot less eouipment to lug around to gigs,but i feel the sound is cold and dull at times,when compared to my conga and bongos, they have a natural , alive sound . i guess i am old school and want to keep standard latin percussion out...
  13. T

great information thanks for taking the time for your help. also i usually play conga standing up would that work against me ?
  14. T

good point, well right now i am in an acoustic duo with a guitarist, using conga and bongos to acompany songs where they fit. but in my heart i am looking to play with a more authentic feel. i know its kind of a conflicting situation.