Recent content by Taye-Dyed

1. Taye-Dyed

Becoming A Drummer Musically Opened My Mind

I started out as a guitarist then turned bassist in the late 70's. I have been mainly into classic rock, blues, prog, fusion all my life. It had to be guitar-centric or complex, jazzy, classically influenced, epic, etc. etc. for me to listen to a piece music. I had no time for "lesser" forms...
  2. Taye-Dyed

What Was Revolutionary About The Band/Levon Helm Drum Sound?

Recently Roger Waters stated in an interview that when he heard The Band's "Music From Big Pink" album in 1968, he thought the drum sound was nothing like he had ever heard before and that sound was a big influence on him and Pink Floyd. Being a big fan of both The Band and Pink Floyd, I found...
  3. Taye-Dyed

Friday Night Gig With One Of The Jonas Brothers

Let me preface this post by saying that I am an almost 50 year old rocker and not exactly a fan of Jonas Brothers' music or dazzled by their celebrity. But still, it was pretty exciting to have Nick Jonas get up and do a few songs with my band a couple of nights ago. He is in a movie titled...
  4. Taye-Dyed

My Very First Drum Recording - Feedback Will Be Appreciated

Here is a simple demo song that has my less than stellar drum, guitar and bass playing. Everything is pretty much first take and sort of made up on the fly. None of these takes would make the final cut if this were a more serious recording than just a scratch pad thing. I crudely edited out a...
  5. Taye-Dyed

What Heads For Yamaha Musashi 12x6 Snare?

I have been wanting a small diameter snare for a while and finally pulled the trigger on a used Yamaha Musashi on ebay for $145. It is in great condition other than needing new heads. Right now it has stock “made by Remo” Yamaha heads that are pretty beaten up. It has fairly new looking...
  6. Taye-Dyed

Gilchrist Drums - Custom Drum Builder

I wanted to make the forum members aware of a custom drum maker located in North Carolina, Gilchrist Drums. I have absolutely no affiliation with them or anything to gain by mentioning them here. For those interested in products by small independent makers, Gilchrist is one more option to...
  7. Taye-Dyed

How Can I Get My Maple Snare Sound Fat?

I have read many snare drum threads here but have not come across one that addresses my question, so I will ask for advice from you guys. My Taye 14x5.5 maple snare drum sounds great cranked up with the coated Ambassador batter head. But I have not been able to achieve a good low tuned sound...
  8. Taye-Dyed

New Member - Old Topic: Ride Cymbal Search

Hello Everyone, my first post here. Fairly new drummer as well. I am a 47- year old beginner and a convert after playing bass guitar for 30 years, but that is a long story and another post on another area! I have done searches and read many posts on here on ride cymbals and got some great...