Recent content by Superman

1. Superman

18" or 20" bass?

Hey! Sooo... I purchased a Gretsch Catalina Club. I got home and felt like a moron; the way the tom mount is situated doesn't really allow it to be used for a left handed drummer. I tinkered with it over and over and it didn't work. I sold it right away and instead grabbed a Mapex Mars kit with...
  2. Superman

LivingDeadDrummer, Glen Sobel, Simon Wright, Brian Tichy at Dio Event

Awesome! I was lucky enough to meet Nick and have a beer with him once. Couldn't have been any nicer. Really great guy and a fantastic drummer.
  3. Superman

Thick Wood Snares

I know right?!?! I actually hate the drum, but it's so well built, and I only paid $300 for it... so I end up keeping it with the hopes that it will grow on me. It's never grown on me in ten years though!! I'm glad I'm not the only one! lol
  4. Superman

Thick Wood Snares

I have a 20 ply Pearl Reference snare. It's loud as hell and very focused, few overtones. But it also sounds dead to me at times. Hope that helps.
  5. Superman

Short video on the gig last night

Nice playing, I like the light touch. The Rogers kit sounds great.
  6. Superman

gig with a Mapex Mars birch kit ?

I have all Mapex Falcon hardware and some Armory. Their hardware is so underrated. I'm sure their Mars stuff is solid too!
  7. Superman

I almost bought an Armory, but I wanted something where the toms sat on the bass drums. Armory is a much better sounding kit, they are great. That's exactly what I want from this kit, something I can throw around without worrying.
  8. Superman

Anyone have gigging experience with a Mapex Mars kit? I played one once and it was a really nice mid-range birch set, I'm just wondering how it might hold up to gigs and traveling. I just snagged this at GC as a gigging / beater kit (I hate bringing my Saturns out). I liked that this doesn't...
  9. Superman

Restore cymbal logos

Ha! It would help if I read some of the other threads first!! Thanks
  10. Superman

Restore cymbal logos

Anyone have any luck restoring logos? Bought some used cymbals recently and the logos are badly faded. I know Sabian will re-ink them for a fee, but I don't want to go through that hassle. I've seen some videos where guys using special paint and ever sharpies (yikes), but they don't really come...
  11. Superman

Which one?

Black on red looks better.
  12. Superman

18" or 20" bass?

So.....Thank you to everyone for the great advice. I ended up not listening. lol. I was hunting for a 20" when I came across a lady selling an 18" Gretsch Catalina Club kit in mint condition. I ended up grabbing it. Came with a Tama SLP maple snare, some lower end cymbals and hardware for...
  13. Superman

18" or 20" bass?

Well, technically yes. But I wanted a kit that I could leave in a practice space that I didn't really care about as much.
  14. Superman

18" or 20" bass?

Thank you so much for the replies. I've decided on a 20" after reading your input. Now I have to see which kit I want. I was leaning towards a set of Stage Customs but also considered a Mapex Mars Maple Fusion. I like Mapex because I have two Saturn kits, but the Yamahas will hold its value...
  15. Superman

18" or 20" bass?

Hi, relocating once again and for a temporary period I'm going to only have a small space to practice in. I want to pick up a smaller kit mainly for practice purposes. I'm torn between an 18" bass or a 20" bass. • With a 20", I can easily gig with it and can have 2 rack toms (which I prefer)...
Back