Recent content by Spence

1. Spence

Buying a new 22 ride (opinions welcome!)

I'm hoping to get a new ride this week. I'm looking for a nice jazzy ride, strong stick def, not overbearing wash and ideally crashable. I'm going to be checking out the following but any further suggestions or comments on the below (all 22's) are welcome: (1) Zildjian K Constantinople Medium...
  2. Spence

A Bargain (DW)

Not posted on Drummerworld in years but I recently bought another kit and I know you will all appreciate what an amazing deal it was! A recording studio I know doesn't really record bands anymore, more vocalists and producers now. They've had a kit in boxes for years and simply wanted rid of...
  3. Spence

Recurring dream - drum related

I have a recurring dream where I either: (i) find an old splash cymbal in the street and can't believe my luck; or (ii) am in a shop and want to try out the splashes. In both cases they're 6 inch splashes (I have an 8 and 10 already) or smaller. Yet, for some reason I can never get the...
  4. Spence

Should be a jazz fusion classic

I've not been on here in ages. Nor have I listened to the Bert Ligon "Condor" album in ages. An absolute classic. Anyway, more people need to hear what is an absolute beauty of a track from said album...with Kirk Covington on drums. Listen and/or download here...
  5. Spence

Three Trapped Tigers

I can't find anything about them in the forums. I think they're one of the more exciting live acts I've seen relatively recently. They kind of remind me of Squarepusher's "Ultravisitor" album. They really go for it live...not least their drummer Adam Betts. Check him out...
  6. Spence

Ginger Baker at the Jazz Cafe

I went to go and watch Ginger Baker last night; something I was very much looking forward to. Especially as the gig was billed to include "very special guests from throughout Ginger's career". So, on that basis I just about justified paying the £60 it cost for the gig. However: Firstly, only...
  7. Spence

Irreplaceable drumming items you own

Please forgive me if there’s already a post like this, but I couldn’t find one. I read about that Kings of Leon chap smashing his Gibson 325 and how he thought it to be irreplaceable. That got me thinking…what could I simply not replace (within reason) in relation to my drum equipment? For...
  8. Spence

Goodbye to chops and hello cops!

How do you rob a bank? Not with a music stand, as Steve Thompson will probably tell you: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4805814.ece What an idiot!
  9. Spence

A great little find!

Went to a charity shop at the weekend and picked up a Count Basie LP for £2. When I got it home it had a program from his 1989 tour of the uk, a ticket stub from the London show (with Dizzy Gillespie) AND a program from his 1957 tour with Sonny Payne on drums. Upon closer inspection the 1957...
Back