Recent content by SnickSound

1. S

Ever had your edges recut and you were unhappy with the results?

I've done some myself. When I cut my Ludwig Accent CS Custom down to 14" long, I had to redo the batter side myself. I swear it picked up some low-end in the process (it was straight 45 degrees originally, I add a slight roundover). But being that I also changed the length, hard to isolate the...
  2. S

22" by 12"

I've had a 20x12 but never 22 (although I did have a 22x10). If space is a concern, I'd rather go shallower than smaller diameter. Going under 14 you do lose some ooomph, but put a mic to it and you can make it do great things because you still have the 22" pitch underneath it all. One thing...
  3. S

24" vs 26" bass drum, AKA "Useful vs a deep desire to 'just have'."

I'm in the "if you're gonna get a 24 might as well get a 26" camp. Same with 20... just go 18 if you want a smaller one. There's almost no scenario where a 20 has an inherent advantage over a 22 (if you stick to 14" classic depth, a 20 doesn't save any space once you're setup with the rest of...
  4. S

Calling Pork Pie experts, what is this?

Well damn it (literally?), now I for sure need to keep it! Notice also how the date is a palindrome?
  5. S

Ahhh, there's that handwritten serial number, signature and date! So August 2018 I guess. Such a clean bearing edge and such a nice shell. Interesting that it's actually a mix of various wood species, looks like maybe a poplar core sandwiched with that Siam Oak (rubber tree wood really)...
  6. S

How important are high-end/expensive shells?

I bought a brand new Sonor AQX Jazz kit this year that had the worst factory edges I've ever seen. My older Sonor SE Player was custom shop quality in comparison. We're talking wrinkles in the floor tom head you can't get out unless you tune ridiculously high, and a visibly inconsistent edge...
  7. S

Watched his Drum History Podcast episode yesterday, and he showed a book that contains pictures of details of every single kit he's sold (not counting the Little Squealer kits of course which are made oversea), so I would assume he'll have information indeed! I'll take some better pics and ask...
  8. S

If I needed to go out today and buy a solid and good sounding kit that will last me a while, and I didn't care about brand or how it looks, I would pick up a Yamaha Tour Custom in a heartbeat. Unlike the Stage Custom, it has maple shells, 2.3mm hoops, 10-lugs a side on kick, etc. It's just...
  9. S

Well, some drums use maple, others use "maple" (aka some cheaper alternative). But to be fair the bigger difference in terms of the shells will usually be in the quality of the bearing edges (which affect how the heads sit on the shell and have a big impact on how easy the drum is to tune, how...
  10. S

It's my favorite kick size and I will not buy anything longer than 14", it just takes up more space. If I want more low end, I would just up the diameter instead. The kick size was a major factor in buying this, seeing how hard it is to find a good 22x14 under 2k$ for some reason (there's the...
  11. S

Yeah I did the same googling haha. That Drummerworld thread from 2018 is actually me! I spotted the same kit at a different Long & McQuade back in 2018, but it sold rapidly. Ended up buying this one in a different store (where it had been sitting since 2019 because it's not a hot spot for...
  12. S

*New* Evans dB One low volume heads and cymbals

It's my least favorite part of the set. No matter how you close it it still sounds sort of open, which can mess up your technique if you practice with it all the time. But it's my only complaint really. At least I can bash on these without bothering the wife upstairs. Before the L80s I had a...
  13. S

*New* Evans dB One low volume heads and cymbals

Looks like they took the RTOM Black Hole concept and took it further (if you put the heads from the Black Hole directly on the shells, they make for a much more fun experience than typical mesh heads, the added vinyl patch in the center gives you some "ooomph" to the sound). Really tempted to...
  14. S

Just read an interview with Bill Detamore (Mr Pork Pie himself) and one question was about where he sources his shells and there's basically no single source, but he always tries to get them at a competitive price. For sure these are not from Keller or such, there's no way he could finish and...
  15. S

Ok, I do kinda know what it is, or I wouldn't have bought it. It's some kind of limited run series made out of "Siam Oak" (which as I understand is basically Asian Mahogany, in any case it's a pretty pale and whiteish wood, the reddish color is a stain). What I'm curious about is whether this...