Recent content by slhanks04

1. slhanks04

At what age did you start drumming?

I started playing when I was 9, took a couple of years of lessons, played in a few bands through high school. Sold my drums to buy a dirt bike. Picked the drums up again about 10 years later, (late 80's now married with children) played in a couple of bar bands, then my sons pretty much took...
  2. slhanks04

What's your latest purchase?

I've been on a snare acquisition binge to build my collection. I've bought 3 in the past few weeks. I am still waiting for them to arrive, so these are stock photos, 1. Pearl Session Studio Select 14x6.5 in Gloss Barnwood Brown: 2. Tama SLP quilted bubinga 14x6: 3. Mapex Black Panther...
  3. slhanks04

What got you HOOKED on drums?

When I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Ringo Starr inspired me to play the drums. I was 5 years old, but I remember just watching Ringo through the entire performance. Maybe 3 years later, I got a small beginner drumset for Christmas. That did it for me. I've been playing ever since.
  4. slhanks04

What are the first 3 memorable rock concerts you attended?

I've been to well over 100 concerts since the 1970's here are the 3 most memorable ones. 1. Rush - Moving Pictures tour 1981 2. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son tour 1988 w/opening act Guns N Roses 3. Aerosmith - Rocks tour 1976(?) Honorable mentions: The Police - Reunion tour 2007, Roger Waters' The...
  5. slhanks04

Eddie Van Halen Dies

2020 has been a tough year for musicians. This is a real shame. Rest in peace, Eddie.
  6. slhanks04

1970’s -1980’s Rock drummers

Bonham, Peart, Paice, Ward, and Copeland.
  7. slhanks04

Jimi Hendrix died 50 years ago today.

Yep, Jimi was a paratrooper.
  8. slhanks04

What's your latest purchase?

Not a purchase....yet. I pre-ordered one of the new Ludwig Speed King pedals. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks.
  9. slhanks04

Online music stores "My Rant!"

In the Phoenix area, we have a handful of Guitar Centers and one Sam Ash store. I prefer the Sam Ash, but it's 40 miles from me on the other side of the valley and it couldn't be less convenient if it was in Albuquerque. I have commented here in this forum in the past about how all the online...
  10. slhanks04

Songs for Beginners?

Learn side 1 of 2112 by Rush. Just kidding, better get a few more months of experience before you try and tackle Peart.
  11. slhanks04

List your equipment failures

Over the years I've had a couple of bass pedal springs break on me in the middle of a song, and of course sticks and a few snare heads. Other than that, I've been lucky. I am very meticulous about my setup and make sure everything is tight (cymbal arms, floor tom legs, etc) before I play.
  12. slhanks04

Neil Peart RIP

I'm stunned. It all makes sense now. RIP Professor!
  13. slhanks04

How many brands of drum gear have YOU owned?

I started out playing Ludwigs and I still play Ludwigs today, although I did have a CB700 9 piece for a few years as a gigging kit. I originally played Zildjian cymbals, and did for many years. Now I'm "all Meinl all the time". I currently have two kits, both are Ludwig, with Ludwig Atlas...
  14. slhanks04

I drove my wife's car and listened to her radio station... my thoughts.

The only time I listen to local radio is when I need a traffic report. I listen to Sirius/XM in both our cars. At least then I have some control over what I'm listening to. Ozzy's Boneyard, Liquid Metal, Turbo, Hair Nation, Octane, Deep Tracks, and Classic Vinyl.
  15. slhanks04

My cat has been 'marking my drum set....

I think I'd be making myself a new pair of furry slippers.
Back