Recent content by sillypilot

1. S

A battle of millimeters

I've been where you are....many times. I've found lately that what works is to start with the bass, snare first and nothing else around me. Once I'm comfortable with those, I add the two rack toms (I have two on a stand). Once I like the position of those things I add the hihat. Then I add the...
  2. S

trouble with remo silentstroke heads

You could try putting two strips of gaffer tape across the head (not where you would hit, but across the head). The location would be similar to felt strips across bass drums. It will make the head a little louder so you will hear your ghost notes a bit better. It works pretty well.
  3. S

DW Drums from a Non-DW Player's Perspective

I love DW drums, they sound great. I also love Ludwig Classic Maples, and Tama Starclassic. They all sound great. Just like all kits out there from the same manufacturer, some sound great, some not so much. The quality control of DW Collectors is incredible. Ludwig not so much, and Tama Japan is...
  4. S

Anyone have experience with a 24x16 bass drum

Hi all - Anyone have experience with a 24x16 bass drum? I'm not a fan of 14" depth drums. Any opinions would be great. I'm not trying to start a battle here, just would like to know experiences pros/cons. Thanks! Jorge
  5. S

Drum shell brightness question

Hi all - Question on drum shells brightness vs. darkness in tone. This isn't a question about materials, or construction, it is about sound. From a versatility perspective to play rock and pop, would you pick a shell that is brighter in tone or darker? My initial instinct is darker, but does...
  6. S

Is a 24x16" bass drum that different than a 24x14" bass drum?

Hi all - Not sure if someone has experience with both (assuming same construction, etc, etc) and would care to share thoughts. I sense that the current trend is for a shallow 14" bass drum, but I can't tell why. I've watched whatever YouTube videos there are on depth comparisons and I hear a...
  7. S

Difference between Zildjian A Medium ride and A sweet ride

Hi all - Size differences aside, what does an A sweet ride provide that an A medium ride does not?
  8. S

Experience with DW Santa Monica shells?

Hi all - Anyone have experience with DW Santa Monica shells? Would be interested in your perspective.
  9. S

Recommendation for Zildjian or Sabian "ping style ride"

Hi all - I'm looking for a ride with great stick definition and a strong bell. I'm not interested in crashing. I have an A Ping ride already, but looking for something that is a bit less bright. Thanks for the suggestions!!
  10. S

Meinl hihats that are similar to Zildjian K Sweet hats or K Light hats

Hi all - Anyone know what Meinl series hats are similar to K Sweets or K Lights? I currently have the Benny Greb Sand Hats, but don't like them as much. I love the Benny Greb crashes and ride, just the hats don't work for me. I was thinking that Meinl stuff similar to K Sweets or K lights might...
  11. S

Roland TD-17KV-S thoughts

I'm left handed too, so this will be interesting. I used to have a TD-25 a while back and was able to flip it all around and get it to work, but it was annoying as it came all built for a righty.
  12. S

Roland TD-17KV-S thoughts

Hi all - For those of you who have experience with this kit, any reason not to buy it or something you really dislike? Don't worry about why I want this kit vs. another or what I'm using it for. Just want fellow drummers with different (or similar who knows) tastes and needs to share their...
  13. S

Tuning question (simple question, don't worry)

That is what I'm trying to learn too, so we're both on the quest!! I know the "musical formulas", but I don't fully know the physics as to why it works that way. If someone here knows the physics that would be swell. It has to do with the different rate of vibrations of the different heads and...
  14. S

Tuning question (simple question, don't worry)

I think my ultimate goal is pretty clear. Each drum has a fundamental note that you can tune to based on how you tune the batter and reso. If you want a drum to sound like a 2nd octave A on the piano, you tune the reso to A on the 3rd octave of the piano and the batter to piano 3rd octave E...
  15. S

Are mahogany/poplar shells versatile?

Hi all - I'm interested in the opinions of those of you who own a mahogany/poplar kit regarding versatility. I've never owned one or played one, but really like the sounds I hear on youtube videos. Are those shells all purpose? I've heard from people that they're a one trick pony, but not sure...