Recent content by Shirai

1. S

Made myself a bass drum riser for my floor tom

When I got my new 3007s recently I was excited to discover that the kick spurs are the same diameter as the floor tom legs, meaning that it would be that much easier to make a small kick out of my 16" floor tom. Pretty much all the kick risers out there are made for wood hoops. When I started...
  2. S

GC Drum Off - anybody doing it?

I popped in to my local GC today for a couple odds n ends and the guy behind the counter asked if I was interested in signing up for the drum off. I didn't even realize it was going on, and apparently my local store is kinda scrounging for guys to participate. Anybody else on here doing it /...
  3. S

Christmas in September... new 3007s

The UPS man pulled up in his sleigh yesterday evening. I've been lurking around here long enough to know -- eye candy first... (I had a 16" coated Ambassador laying around so I went ahead and threw it on that floor tom... still waiting on some more coated ambs to be delivered for the rest of...
  4. S

Good experience with drumfactorydirect.com

I ordered some parts and heads from drumfactorydirect.com for a little restoration project I've got going on. They had the best prices on the stuff I needed and the volume of my order qualified for free shipping. I placed the order on a Friday morning and the items arrived at my house Tuesday...
  5. S

80's Imperialstars - Need help figuring out asking price

Hey DW, I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out what a fair market value would be on a monstrous Tama Imperialstar kit from the early 80s. I work for an insulation company so we're in 20+ attics every week, and last week one of our estimators found a bunch of drums in a customer's attic...
  6. S

Restoration questions

Hello Drummerworld, If you'll allow me I'd like to pick your brains on a little restoration job I'm undertaking. I've done some general research but have some specific questions I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable guys can help me out with. Background The shells are Ludwig Rockers stamped...
  7. S

Tama NAMM kit on the Bay

Cruising around eBay this afternoon and noticed that Dale's is listing the monstrous kit Tama made for NAMM... for only $25k! The good news - free shipping...
  8. S

How life circumstances have conditioned your playing

Hey everyone, I don't post much on here but always enjoy reading the thoughts being discussed on this forum concerning the drums. Lately I've had an interesting observation that I thought worth sharing. Throughout high school and college 80-90% of my drumming was done just by myself behind the...
  9. S

JoJo left handed press roll

The new JoJo video up on Drummerworld from the 2012 Musikmesse -- everyone seen it? In the last upbeat of each phrase he's got this press roll thing that he plays with his left hand that lasts through the entire eighth note. How on earth is he maintaining such a consistent volume all the way...
  10. S

Chattanooga woman takes up drums at age 92

http://www.timesfreepress.com/moment/ From the 3/26/12 "Moment" series in the Chattanooga Times-Free Press.
  11. S

Pearl experts - need help finding a part

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I'm wondering if any of you Pearl experts can help me find a pair of replace bass drum spurs for an MRX (I think?) series kit. While I much prefer the discourse here at Drummerworld, I tried joining PDF first because it appears that their first aid forum...