Recent content by shemp

1. shemp

Version 2.0: deceptively challenging drum tracks

Man in the Box.....AIC IMHO, it's one of those really great, list worthy drum tracks. It never hit me until I dug in and tried to nail the feel, timing and fills...."hey this is damn good". I will venture to say it is not a track many will really get to feel authentic. For instance the kick...
  2. shemp

Roger's Dynasonic at GC Brea

For any of my socal brethren, I was over at the Brea GC the other day picking up some new 747s and they had JUST taken in a vintage Rogers kit complete with Dynasonic snare that looked to be in exceptional condition. I'm not an aficionado but it looked and sounded great. The snare was...
  3. shemp

Deceptively cool and challenging drum tracks...

I ran across some drum tracks that did not hit me as being great before I went to learn them.....when I did go to learn them, I found they were more challenging than I expected and also super friggen cool.... Here are a few I find deceptively challenging....And also just great, fun to play drum...
  4. shemp

Ludwig Atlas Mount & 13" Centennial Tom

I'm using a Ludwig Centennial kit for reh and gig...and I do love the kit, but I'm looking at doing a little optimizing. First up is the 13" tom rim mount. There is nothing wrong with it as is, but I don't like the extra distance it makes the drum sit off the cymbal stand. I'm looking...
  5. shemp

Standard DW9000 and heel-toe

I'm wondering if anyone is using the dw9000 and playing a steady diet of heel toe? I ask because I've had to set mine aside since the relationship has gone sour....the heel plate tears my heel up; I play barefoot but have size 13 dogs. I switched over to a demon drive and also a p930 and have a...
  6. shemp

Which Bassist would you hire?

You are recording a 5 song EP and the stars have aligned....you have a $50k budget for the bassist....fly them in, accommodations and for their studio time....who do you try to acquire? You can have multiples but that may inform the "name" value of the player. my list...of which I would secure...
  7. shemp

Paiste 2002, B8 but why do they sound so good?

2002, to my ears, have a sweetly piercing timbre to their initial attack that cuts and then a smooth and even decay that has just enough meat emitting from the bell character of the cymbal which is well mixed with the wash. I'm talking the crash weight saucers here. On top of that, when you hit...
  8. shemp

Funny Commercials!

This has got to be my favorite commercial of recent times....no I do not work for Sprint :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxw5aprXK4M Show us a link to your favorite *funny* commercial....
  9. shemp

Mount Rushmore of Drumming: What does it look like?

Is it possible to identify, as objectively as possible, the most influential drummers to date...those that should be carved in stone? Remember...*most influential*....not your personal favorite or who you *think* should be carved in stone. Does it look like this? 01. Buddy Rich 02. Ringo...
  10. shemp

Pop songs to play for fun, Relaxation and Improvisation

Sometimes one can have the tendency to work on material that is pressing the boundary of their playing and that promote growth and advancement. As a beginner trying to improve my mechanical skills, I tend to do too much of that and it can lead to a narrow set of playing skills. So, to kinda...
  11. shemp

Most heinously overrated drummer / band. Come on Man

Drummer: Dave Grohl Band: Nirvana, Foo Fighters I'm not saying Grohl is a *bad* drummer....quite the opposite! He is a *good* drummer. But overly revered in the media....overrated
  12. shemp

12" Tom Shell Pitch and Tuning To Match

This is an interesting topic so I spent some time today going through this process and I thought I would share what I did, what I learned and some thoughts on the whole thing. Background I'm new to drumming; 4 years in. I don't make drums nor do I work for a company that does, but I have a...
  13. shemp

Witchfinder General: Raw Old School

Some of you may know of this band...this stuff is from back in the 70's, but it has a raw heaviness that I find appealing....definitely some Sabbath influence. Raw unprocessed guitars and a nice selection of syncopated hard hitting drums. No slick production or much studio processing here...
  14. shemp

Very Cool Playing Video

I thought this was so good that it should be seen, For all I know, this fella could be a member here, but this is some neat and authentic drumming on this tune...which has a wonderful groove to begin with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWxOylGjicM This is most certainly not me...i'm nowhere...
  15. shemp

Utopia: The Seven Rays; Need Assistance

I've attached a copy of the song for those that may be interested in helping out. I'm not the best at figuring out odd or non 4/4 times and have been trying to count out the intro (main riff) of this song...my best guess is: 4/4 - 4/4 - 5/4 - 6/4 - 5/4 or maybe it is felt more as: 4/4 - 4/4 -...