Recent content by Shedboyxx

1. Shedboyxx

New DCP DW Snare.

I can hear that 'fatter smack' on the custom. Very nice.
  2. Shedboyxx

I Can't Drum Today Because...

My dog ate it. (BAD DOG!!) LOL! Actually I am getting to play/practice/record on my electronics which is something I thought I'd never do. However - that's what's available in apartment land.
  3. Shedboyxx

Has Gretch quality decreased? We’re Gretch drums sold to another company?

Completely agree with everything said above. FWIW Hal Leonard distributes the Gretsch Imports just as DW distributes the US versions I bought my Gretsch kit in 1982 when there was only the main USA line. It was priced that way too (for the time), They would be the comparable line to the USA...
  4. Shedboyxx

Non-standard heads for Acrolite

I'm with those that say use what you have - although in my situation I would buy what I wanted brand new. One thing you haven't mentioned is what kind of recording it's going to be. You may want the control rings instead of a lot of dampening on an open single ply head. Personally I go with wide...
  5. Shedboyxx

Aquarian Jack dejohnette heads

Personally stick marks aren't a concern of mine so i can't report on that. I do know that the JDJ heads mirror the other Aquarian heads when it comes to coating wearing off - i.e. the coating lasts the longest of all the different brands of heads I've used.
  6. Shedboyxx

Mapex Saturn Evolution?

As far as timeline post-NAMM, China is still recovering from being shut down, some factories still not open. Even if they are already manufactured and sitting in the (China) warehouse it takes 90 days to get them here and in local warehouses. There will be an extended wait for many instruments...
  7. Shedboyxx

Looking for a great sounding 4" snare

+1. Great sounding and versatile snare.
  8. Shedboyxx

Lower tuning rack toms

FYI: This happened with Steve Gadd recently (last few years). Early years when I started hearing about him (early 80's) he used a 10 in/12 in. rack tom setup. I believe he was an 'early adopter' of this setup and influenced many others. Recently when seeing him in live footage, he uses a...
  9. Shedboyxx

New Orleans Style Drumming

I would highly recommend both of Stanton Moore's DVDs on New Orleans drumming (Traditional and Modern). I learned a lot from seeing him in clinics and buying his DVD's
  10. Shedboyxx

Stop keeping time on ride and hi-hats

+1. I was thinking of the same but on Frame by Frame At approx 1:39 Bill starts riding on an Octoban. Back then he also would ride of a 'rhythm log'. It was woven into the King Crimosn Music so it worked musically.
  11. Shedboyxx

Cajon purchase choice

I don't recommend an 'electronic' cajon. These are cajons with either built in microphones, pickups or in one case a speaker. Get a regular good cajon and you can always add features to it. There are a lot of cajons out there. Posters are saying "a Mienl" or "an LP" but both of these companies...
  12. Shedboyxx

What are my options for what I want to do?

You may want to try these: RTOM Black Holes https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/rtom-black-hole-10-12-14-16-22-combo-pack They don't do anything with cymbals so you would need to mute them. However the RTOM Black Holes slip on and off an acoustic drum set. Still not the real thing but...
  13. Shedboyxx

What’s the “Supra” of Piccolos?

I owned one of these (Brass Pearl FF piccolo) but sold it after not using it on a gig for a year. It really was versatile and sounded good tuned down as well as up.
  14. Shedboyxx

Is it dumb of me to buy Constantinople?

I have a 20 in K Connie ride (Medium Thin Low) and an 18 inch K Connie crash. I use a pair of Dark Custom hi-hats with them because I liked the sound they made over K Connie hi hats. Having said all that, my full set of K Sweet's are on highest rotation for the gigs I'm doing now. It really is...