Recent content by Scottie15

1. S

Sound Treating a Garage

So I've had my kit set up in our one-car garage for a couple years, but finally looking to record, so need to make some mods to the room. It's a small garage, maybe 30 feet long by 10/15 feet wide. Room has a couple large rugs over cement, walls are sheetrocked, but the ceiling isn't. It's just...
  2. S

Upgrading mics (a couple of questions)

I heard the best Oktavas to use are the modded ones. I have an Oktavas MK-012 but I don't know if it's modded
  3. S

How it’s going so far

Isn't there already a thread on this? Why the duplicate?
  4. S

Mapex Saturn Evolution.... new twist!

The lugs and hardware for the Tom legs and bass drum spurs are all the same from the Black Panther Velvetone and Blaster kits. What do you mean by inverted hoops? Are you referring to the sonic saver hoops?
  5. S

Mapex Saturn Evolution.... new twist!

Mapex always comes up with these gimmicks and overly-emphasized features year after year. They make great drums, but they are constantly modifying features on there drums and glorifying the shit out of them to the point where it's nearly impossible to get a matching drum for any line they...
  6. S

Mapex are my crush

Own a Mapex Black Panther Velvetone kit and a Tama Star Walnut kit. Love em both. Had the Velvetone for 10 years and would never sell it.
  7. S

Easy survey on Drum brands

Would: Tama, Sonor, Pearl Wouldn't: A&F, DW, Gretsch, Ludwig
  8. S

New Tama Starclassic Performer line, maple/birch

Literally no reason to get this kit over a Mapex Armory
  9. S

In terms of the out of roundness, you’re saying Tama allows for 3/16” in their cheaper Chinese made kits? What is Pearl and DW’s tolerance for their cheaper kits (Sessions Studio, Masters, Designer & Performance series kits)?
  10. S

Same here. My Velvetone kit doesn’t have quick lock floor Tom legs, but the feet of the legs have a spring in them that allows the drums to float without feeling wobbly.
  11. S

I actually have the same issue on the floor tom. With the Quick-Lock system, it wobbles like crazy. It won't fall or anything, but there seems to be a lack of stability. As far as the Starcast system, most vendors that use a 2 point mounting system all have the same structure.
  12. S

Got a Star Walnut kit in August, and previously owned an old Rockstar kit with Starcast mounting system. I also have a Mapex Velvetone kit with it's own mounting system that uses a hex L-rod. I tore down the Star kit for a couple of weeks and just set it back up this week. I've got to say, the...
  13. S

The W/B has the quick release tom mounts and the quick release floor tom legs. Not sure if the previous B/B Performers had them since htey were introduced with the STAR series (minus the little extra sliding support bar). It appears that they don't brand the W/B as a Performer anymore, and that...
  14. S

Anyone have any good soft cases for drum set stories to tell?

I used to own the Protection Racket cases. They were great, but I wanted to upgrade to the Protection Racket AAA cases, however, they didn't have all my sizes. So for the last 9 years I've been using Ahead Armor cases. Brilliant cases for the money. Super sturdy, rigid, nice sherpa lining and...
  15. S

Nah. For $1,400, I'll go get a Mapex Saturn with much better hardware and premium features.