Recent content by Ruok

1. Ruok

What is "Worship Music"?

I'll try to be careful to answer some of these questions without getting into religion. Yes. For me, being a worship musician absolutely does/did change my outlook on music in general. I learned that all music, I mean music in and of itself, effects the mind, body and soul. Music itself does way...
  2. Ruok

What is "Worship Music"?

I just quit my church gig, for several reasons. A big part of it was the songs. I couldn't take it anymore. It used to be ok because we used to do a lot of the older (and much better) songs, including hymns, along with the newer. Now it's all the new stuff and it is just one lousy song after...
  3. Ruok

Lyrics you just got wrong

Years ago I bought a Beatles songbook for Keys/Guitar. It was one of those books that simplified the chords for those of us who aren't good enough to play the real thing. I was reading the lyrics of She Said, She Said. I chuckled when I saw the line that was supposed to say, "Who put all those...
  4. Ruok

Lyrics you just got wrong

I know someone (it wasn't me) who as a kid thought the lyrics were, Dirty deeds and thunder cheeks! 😂 My own big blunder was "We are the Sultans of Suede."
  5. Ruok

Female drummers?

I was perusing the new Paiste website and found Elise Trouw and she plays various instruments and sings. So I just picked one random video to watch and this is the first one that I watched. I really liked her hi-hat playing.
  6. Ruok

Female drummers?

Viola Clara Smith. Unfortunately, she just passed away on October 21, 2020. She died at 107 years young.
  7. Ruok

Zildjian- vintage vs newer

Whenever I watch a band or a live video, my first thoughts are, What drums are they and what cymbals are they. If I see no logo, it ticks me off. I want to know, dagnabit! Therefore, I love big logos. 🤓 In regards to the topic, I don't have an opinion on it really. What I do know is that I...
  8. Ruok

Albums You Hated - But Became a Favorite

I learned from my mother how many pop/rock songs stole from Rachmaninov. He's one of my faves. I love listening to actual Classical pieces that are made into rock songs, but keeping it orchestrated. That's why I love Apollo 100. Here's just one example.
  9. Ruok

I had a similar experience with Leftoverture too. One of my sisters bought that album when it came out and I always loved Carry On Wayward Son, but it took several listens and several years before I became hooked on the whole album. Once that occurred, I bought up all their past recordings and...
  10. Ruok

For Heart fans

If this video is actually live (not quite sure, since they never show the band), Ann is on the piano.
  11. Ruok

For Heart fans

I just looked at the credits for the 1980 Bebe Le Strange album and here's what I found for instruments by Ann W. Bebe Le Strange - Bass Even It Up - Bass Sweet Darlin - Bass, Drums, Guitar, Flute, Piano I will look at some other albums to see if I can find more.
  12. Ruok

For Heart fans

I saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty cool. Some are unaware that Ann Wilson is a multi-instrumentalist since she is more widely known for her great vocals. Here she lets loose on the flute. But she also plays drums, guitar, bass, and I think keys as well. Please share if you know of...
  13. Ruok

When I was a wee lad of 6 or 7, my sister had the Bee Gees album Trafalgar which came out in 1971. I hated it and at one point mocked my sister and asked, "How can you listen to this?" She responded "Because I like it!" Sometime either during my junior high or early high school days I put the...
  14. Ruok

Jim Gordon Cymbals in early 1970's??

I can't remember where I read it, and forgive me if my memory is wrong. I remember reading that his hats were Paiste 602s (14" I think) and his rides and crashes were Zildjians. Someone out there will have some info, more accurate, possibly, than what I remember.
  15. Ruok

Am I the only one?

Great thread Vandalay! I've always felt that I am "better" when playing with others than when I'm on my own, and sometimes I will feel very down on myself after my solo practice or after just goofing around, trying to have fun. Seeing the responses has definitely cheered me up. Thanks guys...