Recent content by Row

1. R

Pearl drums

If I was buying Pearl I'd get the Pearl Session, ahead of all other lines.
  2. R

Color of Absolute Hybrid Maple Classic Walnut

It looks red to me. Dark or bright pick one, oh and they sound great.
  3. R

Drum set weights

The AHM is relatively light. I have the Polar White, and it looks fantastic in person and under lights. It has a slight sparkle and is more of a creamy off-white. I would also be happy with the Red Autumn.
  4. R

yamaha stage or tour?

What sizes do you want? I'd go with the tour for the 20x15 bass drum.
  5. R

Trying to pick different hi hats: Mostly Zildjian for my choices, however. . .

I played the signature dark energies and signature traditionals side by side and bought the traditionals. Sounded and felt more articulate and less chunky.
  6. R

Sonor SQ2 Drum Configuration.

Oh wow! They look so cool, have fun with your new kit!
  7. R

Wanting to give Paiste cymbals a try. Where should I start?

Good advice because there really is so many to choose from, even the Paiste website has listings of genres and cymbal set proposals for that genre. I would be looking at Signatures and 602 modern essentials. Maybe the 2002 also.
  8. R

Stack vs. fixed hats?

I use closed hats with a 10 inch splash on top which adds more of a trashy bite when closed, and can get a few different sounds when played on the edge of the hat or on the splash.
  9. R

Cheap or Expensive cymbals for Metal?

Go for the Sabian AAX as they will fit your style well and I think they will inspire you. I like the AAX Xcelerator hi hats out of this line. Replace incrementally and repeat until you have your sound. Good luck!
  10. R

How many rides and hi hat pairs do you have?

Wow, some impressive collections! I have two of each, all Paiste. It's all I need. 14" Signature Traditionals Medium Light 13" 2002 Sound Edge 20" 602 Medium 20" Signature Dark Energy Mark I
  11. R

Silent stroke heads or ekit.

Wood dust present in every shell and directly over bearing edge after relatively light usage on a high end Pearl kit. Just like those Remo Roland bass drum mesh pads wear down your felt beater very quickly.
  12. R

Silent stroke heads or ekit.

I will also recommend the Aquarian Superpads with the Zildjian L80 cymbals, or at least 1 superpad for the snare. In my experience the Remo silent strokes will sand your bearing edges so get a beat up cheap kit if you are willing to use those. The e-kits are really fun but I won't recommend...
  13. R

my Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple

I've settled on Evans coated g12 for toms on mine - single ply but a bit thicker than usual, & stock reso clear heads. Bass drum head can be whatever you like but I'm using the stock head.
  14. R

Zildjian Avedis New Beat 14" Hi-Hat Cymbals--Advice required

Oh no I got caught! I guess I don't know how to play hi-hats everyone!
  15. R

Thoughts on Sonor AQ2 Stage 6 pc

Oh, I think the 14 is called Martini, and 18 is Bop. Don't know why though. I have the 18 BD.