Recent content by RockNGrohl

1. RockNGrohl

Ever had to confront a fellow band member on what he/she is posting on social media?

I see it this way, some of my band are liberals, some are more conservative, some are right down the middle. But we al get along ad have fun playing together as long as our politics don't get too heated. But we also know that anything crazy we post online will reflect on our band, so we keep it...
  2. RockNGrohl

Drum miking newbie question.. what to plug into

Thanks as always guys! I'm just a weekend warrior right now looking into adding mic'd drums into our sound to make up for the outdoor sound dissipation.WE're not all pros but would like to sound pretty good sound wise. But i'll look into the Mackie, Yamaha and even the Zoom, although I don't...
  3. RockNGrohl

Drum miking newbie question.. what to plug into

Hey guys, I have played some outdoor gigs that could have used mics on my drums. This summer I will be playing a "socially distant" out door one at a local campground that has just opened. I have full of set of mics including a snare mic, two toms, kick and two over head condensers. Plus all the...
  4. RockNGrohl

How much spare gear do you bring to a gig?

I have a small plastic tool box from Harbor Freight loaded with felts, tension rods, washers, a spare hi hat clutch, etc. I also have a spare stickbag with sticks, a pair of brushes, a pair of multi rods, etc. I keep both in my car at all times. I'll also bring two snares. Not so much for if I...
  5. RockNGrohl

What drumming advice would you give to a younger you?

Older me: "Do you REALLY have to play that big fill there?" Younger me: "But there's enough space right there to go 'bippidabippidabippidabippidabippida' at light speed! It will sound awesome!!!!" Older me: "No it won't" Younger me: "But it will look awesome!" Older me: "No it won't! You'll...
  6. RockNGrohl

The First Kit You Got

These are my first drums. Bought X-mas of '95 at Strings and Things in Memphis, Tenn. My kit was a Sunlite from Taiwan. Drums weren't too bad, decent steel snare with cheap strainer. but the hi hat and bass pedal were awful. The bass pedal it came with was one thin strip of metal held on by a...
  7. RockNGrohl

Drum throne re-covering question

I'm thinking of looking into finding a durable fabric that will not wear and getting the seat it re-covered in that. I hate that other than the cracking vinyl, the seat is in super clean shape. Can't bring myself to just toss it out! There is a company up here in maine that recycles sail cloth...
  8. RockNGrohl

I'm hot happy with Tama drums right now. I tried emailing Tama. Their site has no link for customer support anywhere to be found on the main page but I found the email link and Hoshino support phone number buried in links for the shoptama.com parts page. I emailed but no answer back after a week...
  9. RockNGrohl

I have a Tama First Chair round rider throne. I've had it for a few years but not that long. The PVC covering is splitting and looks like crud. I have some tape on one part but I look bad. I don't want to buy a throne cover and just hide the mess. It's past warranty I believe so Tama won't do...
  10. RockNGrohl

Do you have any OCD-type traits about your drums/set-up?

I still line up the logos on my drumheads. But also it helps when i'm setting up which direction move the drums in. Also I have to have the "triangle" of snare, kick, and hats in place. Anything else can be moved or tried in new position. ut when I was a teen just staring out on my beginner kit...
  11. RockNGrohl

Matt Chamberlain breaking down One Headlight groove?

I'm going to try the podcast page on Moderndrummer.com. It may be there. But man do I love that groove!
  12. RockNGrohl

Ludwig internal tone control muffler knob for sale?

I just got a 70's Acrolite snare drum. It is in great shape except for the tone control muffler. The threads on it are stripped right at the end. So the nut was stuck in place. I used pliers to get the little round nut loose to take it off, but it's not gonna screw back on the jacked threads of...
  13. RockNGrohl

Installing a tom mount on a virgin bass drum..

hey guys, I'm thinking of installing installing a single tom mount, with a triple clamp Yamaha tom arm holding two Yamaha ball style Gibraltar tom arms. It is being put on a virgin Ludwig bass drum. But I have some fears and questions. Is the bass drum factory mount-less for a reason? Do I have...
  14. RockNGrohl

Looking for a Remo Mondo snare drum

Hey guys, I whizzed back through the old threads and have been searching for awhile on Reverb, Ebay, and the like. Does anyone know where i get this hard to find drum? You know, the snare with a remo mondo head. Are they that rare? I'd love to have one for coffeehouse open mics and the like. My...
  15. RockNGrohl

Tom mounting advice on flat based stands

I'm selling my older Mapex kit. I love my kit but it is time to move on to something new. I'm including the hardware that came with it in the sale. So to augment the new kit I really want I need some new hardware. The old kit had bass mounted toms. The Ludwig Signet kit I like has a virgin bass...