Recent content by RobertM

1. R

The Black Beauty on records

According to evidence provided by Ian Piggott, Chad Smith used Gretsch USA Custom drums (square badge), Paiste and Zildjian cymbals, and a combination of a Tama 3.5x14 bell brass snare with massive bell brass die-cast hoops and a 1970s-era Black Beauty when recording Blood Sugar Sex Magic. The...
  2. R

The Black Beauty on records

I read the same thing: Chad used a BB, 5x14, on Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic.
  3. R

Are Birch Drums the Best for Indoor Acoustics?

Funny you say this because I plotted out an SQ2 birch bop kit (birch is the least expensive SQ2 set, with beech next, and maple the most expensive), and with a lacquer finish it is basically the same price as an 18/14/12 Vintage Series kit. Kind of insane, that. I would expect the Vintage Series...
  4. R

Are Birch Drums the Best for Indoor Acoustics?

In the "talk me out of it" Starclassic W-B thread, I believe TK1 made a comment about loving high-end birch Sonor drums and how no matter the ceiling height, they sound good. Shane of Drum Center of Portsmouth also made this observation in one of his videos (see 3:45 mark in video) about Sonor...
  5. R

Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Kit - Talk me out of it!

What Sonor set do you have?
  6. R

Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Kit - Talk me out of it!

Just a footnote: Don Gunn, the player in the video, no longer uses that Tama Superstar Classic, by the way. He let go of that kit and a Jenkins-Martin in order to get a big set of Starclassic Walnut-Birch.
  7. R

When Are Drum Shells Too Thin?

Yes, I played on a Maple Custom at university and those drums were revered by a lot of professional jazz drummers I got to meet. They were incredibly heavy--toms were 7-ply/7mm, floors and bass drums 10-ply/10mm. I remember carrying the floor tom from the concert hall was really difficult--felt...
  8. R

What kind of Yammies are these?

Yamaha pro drums often appear at jazz concerts. I've seen a lot of Maple Custom Absolutes or Maple Customs used at festivals and universities. Sometimes you see DW drums at the festivals, and Pearl drums appear in a lot of video footage from jazz festivals in the 1990s, Canopus at jazz clubs. I...
  9. R

What kind of Yammies are these?

Just about everybody was using the Recording Custom 9000s back in the 1980s: Devo, The Smiths, The Cure, Gadd, Vinnie, Weckl. Hugely popular drum set.
  10. R

When Are Drum Shells Too Thin?

I've been researching drum shells and have noticed that Nordic's maple/gum shells are 6-ply/4.5mm. Are those shells too thin to withstand high tunings over time? Or is it safer to go with 8-ply maple shells that are 5.4mm thick? Neither shell has re-rings. Most industry standard 6-ply maple...
  11. R

Perhaps Silly Bearing Edge Question

Hovland: Is your company's website working?
  12. R

Perhaps Silly Bearing Edge Question

Here is a Gretsch USA Custom set with double 45 bearing edges on the toms and snare: I am guessing that the apex of the edge contacting the drum head is gumwood, because Gretsch shell is M/G/G/G/G/M. Sounds pretty good to my ears--a bit of a variation on the 30-degree Gretsch sound, not the...
  13. R

New Brooklyn’s….silver sealer?

DW Jazz Series do sound good, but they are so overpriced. Gretsch USA Custom satin finish can be had for just under $3K. I don't think I've ever seen a new DW Jazz set satin finish in the high $2Ks. All the current DW Jazz sets are well over $3K. Mike Clark: "That's the joint." :ROFLMAO:
  14. R

Expensive Bop Kit Poll

For the Tama Starclassic Walnut-Birch can't-do-jazz-tuning debate, I offer the following demo, which within the first 40 seconds suggests, I think, the possibility that the drums might sound good tuned up high (listen to 12 tom in particular). The heads are clear factor Evans and the drums not...
  15. R

New Brooklyn’s….silver sealer?

Ooops. Artstar already noted this distinction above.