Recent content by rmac86

1. R

Depression and drumming

Been playing for about 20 years now and have played with my share of great and terrible musicians. I was forced to move out of my family home, country and regular gigging circuit due to a brother that has insecurities and basically ruined my musical reputation by telling people I was an...
  2. R

Housemate reported me for drumming, again...

We are both renting rooms in the house but don’t quite understand how I could buy him out? Do you mean like rent his room?
  3. R

Good suggestions here. Though I asked him politely to come and talk to me about it but he said this has been going on for months now, to which I said well how come I’m only hearing about it now? To my mind there’s no issue as he didn’t say anything. With regards to the kit I was only using the...
  4. R

Not a bad suggestion but bear in mind that I was here at least 6 months before he was. Why should I be forced out when it’s clear that the problem is with him, not me. Having said that I have started looking for new accommodation but will probably end up putting my drums in storage indefinitely.
  5. R

Hi all, I think I posted something similar a while ago when my housemate reported my drumming to the landlord. I was never playing overly loud (put towels over all drums and didn’t touch the cymbals) or for extended periods. At the time it was agreed between me and him that I would keep it...
  6. R

Moving on from Evans Genera Dry...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, got some good advice here!
  7. R

Moving on from Evans Genera Dry...

Hi all, Been playing the Genera Dry on my 14x8 Pearl Modern Utility since November and feel a change is in order. Its not that I dislike the Evans, I just feel I could be getting more out of the drum with something else. Local music store has quite a good selection of heads and I've narrowed...
  8. R

Stupid things people have said or asked you about playing drums while gigging

I've just thought of another one... At a more recent gig (with my now ex band btw) the drummer for the headline act who kindly let me use his kit asked "can I use your snare, mine sounds like shit"? To which I replied "well sorry mate I've just got it and don't really like people using my...
  9. R

Stupid things people have said or asked you about playing drums while gigging

I had a similar experience where we were playing on a 6-foot riser with a hanging trellis over it. A girl who had obviously been overserved at the bar climbed all the way up the trellis (fair play, I wouldn't have tried it) and shouted (over the mellow tones of a country song) "here! play some...
  10. R

Band being unreasonable?

Thanks for all the responses guys, some good advice here. The only real question I would have is how do you all feel about spending (usually) large amounts of money, investment of countless hours tuning the drums to sound amazing then realising that you might never play them live? This drives...
  11. R

Band being unreasonable?

Yeah that’s it basically, they just want to agree with everyone but at the same time are coming off stage saying how great they sound, and every time they do I get more and more infuriated. The punk (drumming) thing is all about I don’t care about anything so the sound generally reflects that...
  12. R

Band being unreasonable?

Seems I have a habit of picking the wrong group... Been playing with a group for about 6 months now and it was going largely well until recently. The last couple of gigs being punk gigs mainly meant the drummers didn’t tune their kits. So other than occasionally being allowed to use my own...
  13. R

Open mic night gear?

Oh yes I know the trigger needs a “brain”, I have a Roland TM-2 trigger module which can plug in to a PA system. Failing that I also have a Roland Mic-S which is a trigger module/trigger/microphone all in one unit, that may reduce the amount of wires required. Thanks, R
  14. R

Our brain

I kind of know where you guys are coming from, I had a very bad viral infection 3 years ago that ultimately left me partially brain damaged. Drumming definitely helped with a quicker recovery and continued playing helps with my memory loss.
  15. R

Open mic night gear?

I should add that there is no parking at the front of the venue and ideally I’d like to just be doing one gear run from the car