Recent content by RK1

1. R

Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Kit - Talk me out of it!

Yeah, I’m with you. I let my ears decide and not the marketing. They obviously want me to fork out more, but the SSC sounds better to me than a DW Performance and the W/B. They sing. The kit just sings. It’s like it’s one instrument.
  2. R

SQ1. Incredible drums. They sound better to me than the Vintage or Prolite, but that’s my preference. Sonor birch drums are unparalleled to me. Low ceiling, high ceiling, doesn’t matter.
  3. R

I’d never let go of mine. It’s versatile and I’m no fan of die cast hoops. That was posted to let everyone know he did nothing special to them except tune them with different heads. If you can buy 8 drums for the price of 3 and they can sound just as good, go for the bigger kit. That’s my...
  4. R

Agreed. The Saturn sounds better than the W/B to my ears.
  5. R

I messaged him. He went SC Maple.
  6. R

SSC and SLP snare. With the right heads, the SSC sounds killer. Toss that boxy snare and get an SLP. You get more drums, too. Eight for the price of three. Both are made in the same factory. It’s like a Tikka vs a Sako. Same plant. I’ve had both. For some reason, the W/B sounded too much like...
  7. R

Phonic or SQ1?

I think it would be nice just having a Horst Link era kit.
  8. R

Phonic or SQ1?

9. R

Phonic or SQ1?

Which issues?
  10. R

Phonic or SQ1?

22x18, 13x10, 12x9, 16x16
  11. R

Phonic or SQ1?

Toms are what I single out on a kit.
  12. R

Phonic or SQ1?

I already have a Sonic Plus and sometimes I like smaller sizes for fusion. The Phonics are absolute tanks and not easy to come by, though. Heavy beech. Excellent condition. The SQ1 is more visually appealing and $1K more. They sit between medium and heavy birch. I like the sound and sizes of...
  13. R

Phonic or SQ1?

They’ll stay in one spot 24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 16x16
  14. R

Phonic or SQ1?

Beech v birch aside, would you gentlemen go 70s Phonic (24,13,14,16) or modern SQ1 (20, 12, 14)?
  15. R

DW sold to Roland?

Never a truer word spoken… Agreed.