Recent content by Rattlin' Bones

1. Rattlin' Bones

Wood Snare Recommendations Wanted

Sakae Trilogy hands down. Best sounding "modern" snare I ever heard or played. Lower volume, more articulate is EXACTLY what it does. It's very thin shell with old-school re-rings. They're not made anymore, but new old stock Trilogy's show up often on eBay and Reverb in your price range.
  2. Rattlin' Bones

Help me out here

Bo - I'm always looking for that 40's 50's jazz cymbal sound. Not much ping. Blakey kinda smooth sound, but still with stick articulation. I've been a Zildjian guy since I got my first Zildjian hi-hats for Christmas in something like 1970. For me, none of the modern or current Zildjian...
  3. Rattlin' Bones

I'm gonna be a bebop jazz player.

Better have your chops on and get ready for cutting, man!!! They'll slice you to pieces if you ain't got it.
  4. Rattlin' Bones

I'm with ya !!!
  5. Rattlin' Bones

You need to go further back than 1959 for bop jazz. Bop evolved from Big Band. Think Bird and Dizzy. 1940's and early 50's. By the time 1959 rolled around bop was an older genre of jazz. Kind of Blue came out in 1959. Definitely not bop. Miles declared 'war on the chord'. The track So What uses...
  6. Rattlin' Bones

Pro Drummer advice

My degree helped me get jobs regardless of whether it was in my discipline. That "Undergraduate Degree Required" prerequisite for most every career job beyond flipping burgers. Most "kickass drummers playing for a local band" without a college degree flip burgers, wait tables, work hourly...
  7. Rattlin' Bones

Will a very small port in a bass drum reso help w batter head flutter?

Sounds a like a lot of overthinking. The cut-out doesn't need to be perfect it just needs to be smaller than the port device you're using: either an adhesive port patch or a more elaborate plastic device. I never did it before the first time I tried, but I had no problems at all with an x-acto...
  8. Rattlin' Bones

Pro Drummer advice

College gives you a lot more than a piece of paper and debt. First of all not every college student or family incurs debt. I paid for my two son's college without taking out any loans. I saved for my son's college when they were young. You get more than a piece of paper. You get theory. You...
  9. Rattlin' Bones

Pro Drummer advice

How old is he? If he's 19 or thereabouts he should goto college and get degree in music. Learn jazz. Learn to read charts. That sorta thing. What kinda band was the "local" band that did pre-COVID nationwide tour? If it's a heavy metal or punk-style band and he's a kick-ass punk drummer, well...
  10. Rattlin' Bones

Where is the best place to sell drums

I have used Reverb a lot. It has a smaller audience but they're all musicians and players. I list on Reverb and Craigslist, so that I might also find a local buyer via Craigslist. On Reverb, I have sold several kits by stating that I'm willing to meet someone within 100 miles, which avoids...
  11. Rattlin' Bones

Jazz Tuning for Bop Kits

"Bop" jazz? Fast tempo, complex chord progressions, rapid chord changes with lotsa key changes, and improvs using scales and only occasional references to the melody. Nothing inherent in "bop" jazz that dictates high tuning for the kick. Not sure the cats in 40's and 50's tuned their kicks all...
  12. Rattlin' Bones

Jazz Tuning for Bop Kits

"Bop’s not for dancing." That's referring to "style" of what? Drums or music? Making even less sense now. I was referring to the style, not specific sizes. Does that help clarify for you?
  13. Rattlin' Bones

Jazz Tuning for Bop Kits

It's a bop sized kit. Not necessarily Bop jazz vs West Coast vs Smooth vs Big Band etc. The bop is a marketing designation for a small sized kit, not a genre of music. {QUOTE="Push pull stroke, post: 1785724, member: 238262"] Bop’s not for dancing. The low-end stuff that gets your lower body...
  14. Rattlin' Bones

Jazz Tuning for Bop Kits

On my bop size kits I use a 14" snare and tune it as-needed. For gigs it's looser with a bit of ring. For recordings I try to get most of ring out. Has nothing to do with "bop" size. Smaller toms and kick by nature are going to be higher pitched. They're smaller drums. But that's what I want in...
  15. Rattlin' Bones

Does buying pre owned bother you?

Every drum and kit I own and gig was bought pre-owned except for a Sakae Trilogy snare. All my cymbals too except for a new ride.