Recent content by Q-Ball Drummer

1. Q-Ball Drummer

Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

I also noted that too. With the White Kit, his rack tom was more inclined as I’m guessing that’s what was more comfortable for him at the time. Clearly by 95 with Brown Town, he reduced the incline angle. I can certainly say I’ve had ridiculous tom angles and I’ve changed them overtime. Its also...
  2. Q-Ball Drummer

My favorite sticks

Promark Oak 5B Wood Tip w/ Stick Rapp
  3. Q-Ball Drummer

Anyone know what kind of gear/model late drummer Derrick Plourde used on his kit?

16 years ago yesterday, the master himself left us. I found two excellent photos of him from people sharing stories of seeing and interacting with Derrick. This first one is from sometime in 1992. With the white Ludwig's, 8x14 Gretsch snare, and drumsticks butt-end out! Montreal, March 9th...
  4. Q-Ball Drummer

5B’s are thinner. They’re middle ground between a 5A and 2B. The marching sticks work out really well for warming up. I‘ve found that shorter, thicker marching sticks are more effective so your kit sticks feel longer and thinner. But like I said the DC10’s are discontinued, what I bought was...
  5. Q-Ball Drummer

Yeah, I've found over the summer the Oak 5B is the stick for me. I use the Promark DC10 Oak marching sticks for warming up, however they're discontinued. The store I got them at just happened to have old stock and there were a bunch of pairs of them. That's a sharp pedal setup! The white color...
  6. Q-Ball Drummer

Yeah I was going to say that I was intrigued that you had the tightest spring tension with that light of a beater, almost going into direct drive pedal territory. Bass drum beaters make a bigger difference than most people think because of the subtle differences in weight. I felt an immediate...
  7. Q-Ball Drummer

Thanks! Yeah I’ve been using the 01-02 setup for about a year now, I used to constantly switch it out between this and the old school high ride setup depending on what I wanted to do. I also find it easier to crash on the ride because I do that a lot with my bands music. I’ve had my cymbals in...
  8. Q-Ball Drummer

@TxGroove The setup is looking tight! Here’s what I’m running these days. It’s a Tama Imperialstar from 2014. Setup like DP’s from 2001-02 with the ride cymbal in a more traditional spot. All the cymbals are Sabian. AAX X-Celerator Hi Hats, 19” Heavy and 20” Medium SR2’s for crashes, 19” AAX...
  9. Q-Ball Drummer

I'm not sure which of the Neil Peart videos he had. My guess was they were some kind of homemade videos because she mentioned playing the sticks backwards, which was one of Neil's signature trademarks back in the 80's. If you look at photos from around 1992 DP did the same thing. When Neil did A...
  10. Q-Ball Drummer

Indeed she did! We had a really nice conversation and I'm grateful she returned my message. I mentioned I have the same Jawbreaker shirt as he does in that photo (the navy salt girl) and that Jaws sounded very much like them. She said a lot of cool facts about him that I never would have learned...
  11. Q-Ball Drummer

A few weeks ago, I got to talk with JoAnn Gillespie online. For the unfamiliar, she was very close to Derrick and his family (she's thanked in the liner notes of Anywhere But Here). I shared with her this thread and the YouTube playlist put together by @TxGroove. In the conversation we had, she...
  12. Q-Ball Drummer

Rough mix of Wind In Your Sail, from the comp "All The Punk...Fit To Print"
  13. Q-Ball Drummer

Finally we get to see the rest of this show from this angle.
  14. Q-Ball Drummer

Awesome! I’ve learned that the standard depths usually for snares are 3.5", 5”, 6.5”, and 8”. Anything else is considered an odd size from my understanding. Plus it would seem a bit drastic that Derrick would go from a 10” deep snare right to a 6.5” deep Supraphonic, so the Gretsch being 8” in...
  15. Q-Ball Drummer

After doing some searching around, the Gretsch 8x14 snare from the Duh/Trashed days is a USA-made maple snare, in a white finish. It has a square badge which is consistent with their snares from the 80's when that drum was made. 8x14 is also a standard snare size, not a marching snare size.