Recent content by Push pull stroke

1. Push pull stroke

Do people actually like the “ring” of metal snares?

I used to hate the ring, coming from an orchestra background. Now I’ve grown to love it.
  2. Push pull stroke

Do people actually like the “ring” of metal snares?

Depends on the gig and the room. That ring doesn’t project well, the audience never hears it. Maybe it’s audible on s super-quiet acoustic gig, with the audience just a few feet away, that’s about it.
  3. Push pull stroke

Hovland snare drum cloned for new Simmons Titan kit!

and quite frankly, I prefer flanged hoops on a really special wood drum, as well. *shrug*
  4. Push pull stroke

Hovland snare drum cloned for new Simmons Titan kit!

I gotta say, I feel like really special wood drums like these should be deeper. You get so much more of the tone of the wood with a deeper drum. Just saying
  5. Push pull stroke

Earthtone

Yeah, I’ve been waiting on this for years. I suspect somebody will genetically engineer a natural hide substitute that is super-resonant and does not respond to changes in humidity. This would be grown just like they grow sheets of skin for burn victims. But maybe composites will win the...
  6. Push pull stroke

Are my toms out of tune or is this just how they sound?

Tuning is an art. It takes years to really get good at it. And a tuning that sounds deep, thunderous and powerful behind the kit is usually too low. Tune higher than you think you should.
  7. Push pull stroke

Old people being cheated by their children

There is nothing I care about less in the world than wealthy, famous people with no particular talent or skill. Like the royals, Kardashians, singers whose careers depend on autotune, etc.
  8. Push pull stroke

New Oriollo snare drum on the way

I have a cast brass 15x6.5, spun copper 15x5.5, spun brass 14x6.5, and a spun copper 14x5. The cast brass is my favorite, it’s not a snare drum, it’s a SNARE DRUM. 15” cast drums are an undiscovered treasure, IMHO
  9. Push pull stroke

TV shows or movies that didn't hold up through the test of time for you.

Hmm. Might have to try again, I really enjoyed the first 8 or 9 seasons when I watched them on DVD in 2009
  10. Push pull stroke

Cheap (inexpensive) vs high dollar snaredrums....

It’s hard to go wrong with a BB. They’re worth the money.
  11. Push pull stroke

Cheap (inexpensive) vs high dollar snaredrums....

My main worry about cheaper snares is hardware quality, especially when you crank them up. I had two lugs blow out on me on a steel Pearl Forum snare that came with my Forum kit new back in 96. And of course, cheap strainers are more likely to fail. Good hardware is worth the money.
  12. Push pull stroke

TV shows or movies that didn't hold up through the test of time for you.

The first like 8 seasons were really good
  13. Push pull stroke

If Not Noble and Cooley, What?

The three best snares I own are 1. Steambent Vaughncraft cocobolo in a Sleishman frame, 14x6.5. I’ve got calf heads on it, it has all the character in the world. Crunchy and punchy and bright, it really only sounds good medium or higher, but WOW. 2. Walnut stave no-name 14x6.5 from reverb...
  14. Push pull stroke

If Not Noble and Cooley, What?

Are you specifically looking for steambent, or would stave be ok too? I’d just get a used N&C if that’s really the sound you want.
  15. Push pull stroke

black or subdued hardware stands

Jets don’t take impacts.