Recent content by Pootle

1. P

The Gretsch Brooklyn Chrome over Steel snare is wonderful. Easy to recommend!

Out of interest, do you find the hammering sonically adds much or is it more decorative?
  2. P

The Gretsch Brooklyn Chrome over Steel snare is wonderful. Easy to recommend!

I own a Brooklyn 13x7 CoS. A top drawer snare, no question.
  3. P

New Stones song "Scarlet"....just released

Great drummer, and I would dearly love to sit and share a bottle of fine red wine with Charlie Watts, I would imagine he has some fascinating stories to tell.
  4. P

What's a piece of drum gear that you like the IDEA of having it, but you have reservations or simply no use for it?

A 24” bass drum. The place where my band rehearse has a battered old Tama Superstar kit which has one and it’s a beast. I would love one myself, just such fun to play and sit behind but I know I’d regret it the moment I need to move it. I google “gretsch add-on 24”prices nearly every night I get...
  5. P

Zildjian ZHT

If you don’t generally like chinas I can’t imagine you’ll like a ZHT one. I’ve never heard a lower line china which sounded good, nearly always gongy, little trash and chucked into the catalogue to complete the line. Your K cymbals will be very offended to be sharing the kit with such company...
  6. P

Gretsch Piccolo Snares

You’re right and I owned a Pearl brass FF piccolo back in the early 90s, very nice. I have a preference for wood snares these days and have my eye on a Pearl 13x3 maple.
  7. P

What brand of drums - you have never owned but would love to .

Excellent choice, I love the completely unnecessary, counterweighted tom stands. Brilliant.
  8. P

I did love the 90s Pearl kits there was something about the design and full rich sound. I had a Pearl SLX, birch/mahogany shells, great kit.
  9. P

As a diehard Pearl evangelist, out of curiosity, have you ever owned or played the 1990s Z Custom drums? They were always the pin-up holy grail to me back in the day.
  10. P

I’ve no doubt Sonor make incredible drums but they seem a bit over-engineered to me, a bit too pristine I’d worry about taking them out. I’ve never owned a set of Ludwigs so some classic maples would be my choice.
  11. P

Gretsch Piccolo Snares

From what I see Gretsch don’t seem to manufacture piccolos. Any reason why? Can anybody recommend a nice piccolo?
  12. P

Fave Live Albums

Listened to U2 Under a Blood Red Sky at Red Rocks the other day for the first time in about 20 years and have had it on repeat since. Really fantastic concert from their earlier years and great atmosphere in the mist and rain.
  13. P

This Is Why I Cringe When Someone Says They Want To do A Pink Floyd Song

Sounds like they positioned the only mic they had available right next to that awful ride. I definitely do think there’s some songs that should never ever be attempted as a cover, they’re just too iconic. U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name is an example. I’ve never heard a good version as the...
  14. P

20” kicks anyone?

If it bothers you that much, why don’t you sell the 22 and buy a 20 - that’s what I did. There’s always people looking to build a double bass kit or expand. Assuming you are going to keep your kit at least medium term and it’s a fairly standard colour, it’s worth a go.
  15. P

Want your input on steel snare drums.....

Another vote for the Gretsch Brooklyn CoS, I’ve got a 13x7 which is a beauty. Relatively inexpensive too.