Recent content by pinstripe

1. P

Tom angles!!!!

This one managed to avoid Tom Angles but ran into his cousin Tom Height...
  2. P

Gotta love a graph

Reminds me I ought to get mine checked sometime. I'd almost be scared to look at it given all the loud amplifiers and stuff in my past... Here's a page with typical hearing response curves (aka audiograms) for different ages...
  3. P

Lefty's Drum Adventures

Olive Drab FTW. Very cool. BTW, have you considered felt strips for damping? You may find they give you the same thuddiness as putting laundry in the BD but without the visual clutter.
  4. P

What are you listening to right now?

An obscure one by Dave Matthews but one of his best IMO. Had a brief pop on the radio back in the day and then disappeared...
  5. P

Rules of thumb for setting hihat spring tension?

Good insights guys -- thank you!
  6. P

Rules of thumb for setting hihat spring tension?

Is there anything in particular you're aiming for when setting the tension, or just set it where it feels good? My hi-hat stand has a threaded collar down near the base that moves up and down when you turn it. It has a long adjustment range -- probably a couple inches -- and feels quite a bit...
  7. P

Color trends

You're right, it would be a nearly ideal platform for that. The low end torque that you naturally get from an electric motor is exactly what those cars need. ~Torque: It's what land yachts crave...~
  8. P

Color trends

I've had a change of heart and now really appreciate the Detroit land yachts of the '60s and '70s. There's a guy on YouTube with a channel devoted to them. He's an auto industry exec of some sort and has a huge collection of immaculate ultra-low mileage examples. Occasionally he'll interview...
  9. P

Yep these mashups are giving me some good chuckles. I didn't realize they were a thing until a few popped up on this thread. I've also been impressed by the Bad Lip Reading guy's stuff. He'll take an existing video and overlay it with an original song of his own making, some of which are crazy good.
  10. P

What's your latest purchase?

Very nice. I've got a Warm Audio WA87 which is high quality clone of this mic...but you can't beat the real deal.
  11. P

How does Nandi do it?

Wow, talk about an impressive young talent. Here she is doing a cover of Gimme Shelter, building it up instrument by instrument using a looper in a single live take. She even does the guitar solo!
  12. P

What's your latest purchase?

Sharp! These Zanki cymbals have some really nice hammering and lathing.
  13. P

One up tom mount

I agree. Nice looking, well integrated, and adds to the vibe of the kit. Reminds me of how a Bigsby tremolo looks great on a Gibson guitar.
  14. P

Crowd nails the vocal starting around 1 minute in: