philrudd's latest activity

• philrudd
    philrudd replied to the thread Bare foot Bass Pedal.
    Practice both. Either way you'll get used to it, I've done both throughout my thirty years of drumming. If you play hard, though, I'd...
  • philrudd
    I think I'm lucky in that I play with a few different bands and use different set ups for each band, including different sticks. In the...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to Bozozoid's post in the thread Playing outdoors with Like Like.
    I like the outdoor acoustics to my drums but like you I tune up slightly. The pinstripes outdoors sound a (bit) tubby..i kind of like...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to cbphoto's post in the thread Playing outdoors with Like Like.
    The only thing I ever do is adjust the Evans pad and kickpro sandbag in my bass drum for maximum volume with tamed resonance when I’m...
  • philrudd
    philrudd replied to the thread Playing outdoors.
    That's only true to a degree. It's not like I change heads depending on circumstance, but I absolutely take the room into account when...
  • philrudd
    philrudd posted the thread Playing outdoors in Drum Technique.
    Do y'all have any particular rules about tuning for an outdoor gig? I'm talking the pure instrument sound, not including PA of any kind...
  • philrudd
    philrudd replied to the thread Tribute band.
    Could have written this myself. Agree 100%. As Bermuda says, it's all about what you want to get from playing drums. Right now I play...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to SharkSandwich's post in the thread Tribute band with Like Like.
    I looked down my nose at cover/tribute bands when I was young. Fast forward 25 years and it doesn't matter that the music is "someone...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to bermuda's post in the thread Tribute band with Like Like.
    A valid point, I think each of us has to weigh what we want from drumming. First and foremost, you have to enjoy playing the drums. The...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to Hollywood Jim's post in the thread Tribute band with Like Like.
    I'd love to be in a tribute band. Any tribute band. Mainly because the audience that usually shows up, loves the music that you are...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to microkit's post in the thread Getting a small kit with Like Like.
    First I had the thought that it would be neat to do 2-3 concert rack toms, which I've seen a couple of times on YouTube or in photos of...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to microkit's post in the thread Getting a small kit with Like Like.
    A&F did a set that's similar to the 1930s style trap set I'm going for, my thinking was that I can make much better use of a 10" snare...
  • philrudd
    philrudd replied to the thread Getting a small kit.
    Interesting! Reminds me of the 70's.... Are you planning on using them just for lower volume, or are there other reasons as well? I'm...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to yammyfan's post in the thread How many of you are self-taught? with Like Like.
    I'm completely self-taught. I'm more like Phil Rudd than Neil Peart because of that, but I'm okay with it. I keep good time which is...
  • philrudd
    philrudd reacted to IBitePrettyHard's post in the thread Getting a small kit with Like Like.
    Are you planning to get toms for your RT? What color is it?