Recent content by Paisleyman

1. Paisleyman

Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

Renown maple. This whilst it was in the shop. The colour is yellow oyster but definitely looks green. It also came in turquoise oyster and when I find one, I'm having it. Just because I like shiny things.
  2. Paisleyman

Gretsch. Anyone tell me about this kit please?

This is the kit. Pic from Reverb. I didn't stack them like this. The 2 'floor' toms hand. They have a bruise or two and they were grubby and Dusty. I'm servicing them drum by drum at the moment. Coming up very nicely. Came with all hardware plus some bits an pieces and an extra Pearl snare...
  3. Paisleyman

I don't think I've ever played anywhere that wasn't seedy!
  4. Paisleyman

Gretsch Catalina Birch. Red lacquer. 7 piece. 22" kick. 8", 10", 12" toms. 16" & 14" toms hung 14" snare. Pretty good nick. £300 with hardware. Assume Taiwan. Can't see reviews or catalogues online.
  5. Paisleyman

What's your latest purchase?

I'd love to know how you get on with it. I bought one of these because it seemed like a good idea. I've never really worked out what to use it for (electronic jiggery pokery usually gets me like that).
  6. Paisleyman

Getting Paid

"The drummer needs $20.00 to fill his tank?" Your drummer gets his kit on the back of a motorbike?
  7. Paisleyman

My cymbals are too loud.

I should say:- 1. I set up with my cymbals low. 2. The only cymbals I strike with the tip are ride and (sometimes) hi-hat. 3. I'm 63 so ought to be less sensitive to the upper registers than I used to be.
  8. Paisleyman

My cymbals are too loud.

Istanbul Xist brilliant. I find it almost impossible to play them at low volumes. There seems to be a significant difference in the volume of cymbals v drums (Gretsch Renown / Pearl Midtown) for the same power applied with sticks. Any thoughts? (Just don't give me an excuse to go and buy...
  9. Paisleyman

Thoughts on setup (8" tom in particular).

I bought a new (to me - 2nd hand really) kit and then lockdown happened. I don't have room in my house to put the whole thing up. I practice at home on a Pearl Midtown. I now have 4 toms. 8, 10, 12 and 14 inch. I'm minded to ignore the 8 and not use it - tell the truth, I'm not really sure...
  10. Paisleyman

Dumb Gretch Tom bracket query.

I can't upload pics (file size issue). The bore is 1". Part fixed. Part adjustable. My Yam cymbal stands are 7/8". I was suffering under the illusion there was some compatability in drum land.
  11. Paisleyman

Dumb Gretch Tom bracket query.

I've just moved over to Gretsch from Yamaha but I'm keeping my Yam cymbal stands. I have a cymbal mounted 'floor' Tom with the new kit but the bore of the clamp seems to exceed the diameter of the stand by 1/8th inch or more. Am I missing something obvious?
Back