Recent content by Out of Round

1. Out of Round

Customizing your kit

I have Ludwigs, but on the floor toms I have Premier legs and Pearl rubber isolation feet. I also put a Premier die cast rim on top of a black & white badge 6.5x14 Ludwig brass snare drum. My double tom mount is Tama. These were done for reasons of better utility and or sound, not just for kicks.
  2. Out of Round

Rooms/stages that you've played

I set up in a 16,500 sq.ft. ballroom late at night at a former job and got fired for it. It was totally worth it.
  3. Out of Round

A little original lo-fi Brit-pop/surf punk

I like it lot, well done!
  4. Out of Round

Your best 5 Paiste Cymbals

Looks like I'm not alone with these. Of the Paistes I own: - Giant Beat 24", 20", 18" - 2002 15" SoundEdge hats - 505 20" Ride (paid $35 used, maximum sound value, so I gotta list it.)
  5. Out of Round

Recommendations for kick heads

As a kick reso head, I'm using a ported Fiberskyn with a coated PS3 batter. I've also used a ported smooth white Ambassador as a reso with the PS3 and sound-wise, I didn't find much difference. I'm able to dial-in the same tone in both cases if that helps you at all...
  6. Out of Round

Udrilled,virgin base drum pros&cons

The seething violence of those tom arms! And yet I cannot look away... 😛
  7. Out of Round

15" deep toms?

I had a Premier Projector series kit that had a 15" deep x16"FT. It it was great. It had plenty of growl. (It was paired with a 16 deep x18 FT.) No real difference between that and a 16x16 FT, but I don't know about a 15x18..
  8. Out of Round

This trend of adding objects onto playing surfaces...

It's like something out of Road Warrior.
  9. Out of Round

Zildjian- vintage vs newer

Even though they were huge and awful, I regretted de-inking some of the older Sabian logos. I couldn't get the stains out, I think I underestimated the amount of patina already on the cymbal.
  10. Out of Round

Gretsch Renown - Issue with 20" Bass Drum

Options are nice to have. Enjoy your new kit!
  11. Out of Round

Remo roto tom set

Years ago I had 16" and 18" RotoToms, but didn't have the hardware to mount them. After several moves they are no longer with me. I made a mistake somewhere along the line.
  12. Out of Round

Total noob looking for advice.

That looks to be in good shape. I sure wish I had Yamaha hardware like this when I started out. Good stuff.
  13. Out of Round

Gretsch Renown - Issue with 20" Bass Drum

I play a 20" kick without a riser and I'm happy with the sound I'm getting. It's also nice not having another piece of hardware to keep up with. I did use a riser with an 18" kick for a while, so I've dealt with them before.
  14. Out of Round

Show us your Four Piece Kits.

I had one of these, great cymbal. I wish I still had it.
  15. Out of Round

Stick Experimentation Disease?

Interesting, I also keep coming back to the Vater Sugar Maple 5B as a go-to stick for the past 15 years or so. I also like the VF Akira Jimbo sig sticks, but they're completely different thing all together.