Recent content by ottog1979

1. ottog1979

Is your gig pedal and practice pedal the same?

All the same. DW5000's - 4 of them, two double pedals (one for gigging, one for practice) & two single pedals (one for practice set in lockout studio, one extra at home).
  2. ottog1979

How to Play a Very Slow and Soft Song

Love playing slow & soft, if not just because it's another important technique and different than other songs. Really enjoy contributing to the process of making the song as beautiful as possible (or sad, etc.). Whatever the feeling that the song is conveying I try to go there with my own...
  3. ottog1979

Without Ringo On Ed Sullivan 60 Years Ago Today, How Would Your Drumming Life Be Different?

No. Slightly before my time. Not really a Beatles fan. I know, sacrilege.
  4. ottog1979

Help ! I'm On A Highway To Hell

Ahh, I'm talking about the second break, not the first. My bad. First break is +4+ to get back in.
  5. ottog1979

Indeed. I play the time in a bar cover band. The other musicians are looking at me for how to navigate that break. Why make it more complicated than necessary when virtually no one in the audience will know the difference?
  6. ottog1979

After hitting the 4+ that starts the break, I just give it a full 4-beat measure before the band & I come back in on 1 (then 2+, 4). Another measure break then back in on the 1 again (then 2+, 4, 1+, 3, 4).
  7. ottog1979

Any songs where you can play the notes, but getting the feel is still difficult?

Country: SO true. To me, it also seems like hi-hats are steady but quieter in the mix. You definately don't want them out front of the mix. It's all about the kick & snare.
  8. ottog1979

Any songs where you can play the notes, but getting the feel is still difficult?

This one gave me some trouble recently. The "swing" is all in the left hand ghost notes. Simple 1 & 3 kick drum with 2 & 4 snare. Seems simple, but in reality not so easy.
  9. ottog1979

Yes. But good feel comes last. I try to determine what it is that makes the part feel good and keep at it.
  10. ottog1979

Drums in your Monitor? Yay or Nay?

I'm often surprised (and this thread reinforces that feeling) that so many want an unbalanced feed in their monitors (some instruments over others or some none at all). I like hearing the whole band, drums included. My drums are even a little heavier in the IEM mix so that I can hear the...
  11. ottog1979

OK, educate me, please (thrones)

Is it necessary? No. Do I enjoy it? Absolutely. Here's the best description I can give. It's not about hearing but feeling. Have you ever played a gig with house sound set-up where the drum monitor has a decent sub and the monitor is cranked (probably louder than it should be) or there are...
  12. ottog1979

What makes music cheesy?

My first immediate thought:
  13. ottog1979

Ear monitors

1. Yes. 2. Yes. I use/spent $1,100 on custom Ultimate Ears (UE11's). But, this $400 option has been getting good reviews especially for drummers needing low end: https://alclair.com/product/dualxb/ (credit to GigGab podcast). 3. Like SpazApproved, I use a Rolls PM50 personal monitor...
Back