Recent content by ottog1979

1. ottog1979

Hi Hat Height

Let's put more numbers on this (like Larryace)! I have 3 high hat set ups that I use with kits. Never actually measured until now but they're all 31.5-32" high from the floor to the bottom hat.
  2. ottog1979

Decent Used Drums for around $600-$800

18 months ago I bought used Gretsch Renown RN1's 12' tom, 16" tom and 22" bass, maple nearly brand new looking for $650. I'd go a route similar to that as you get SO much for your $$$.
  3. ottog1979

Negative effects of positive feedback.

This is a great subject. I think in reality we all need a little of both. I think compliments are less helpful in actually getting better, but compliments are nice and often rewarding. That said, I've learned WAY MORE from the criticism I've received even when blunt and less constructive than...
  4. ottog1979

Drummer's curse

Not always but often situated at the back of the stage looking at a wall of backs (of the singers/guitarists) during the gig.
  5. ottog1979

Drum Teacher Time-Wasting?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this really isn't about him.
  6. ottog1979

THIS! (See my post above.)
  7. ottog1979

Agree on the hour. I've been consistently taking lessons from the same guy for 5 years. He's truly pro, formerly with several well-known international acts as well as many known recording credits. The hour lets me sink into a particular thing we're covering and really work/explore it. That's...
  8. ottog1979

You're the customer, tell him what you'd like to do during lessons. This is probably a better initial tact than telling him what not to do. Don't wait for him to finish his story, chime in right away about what you were working on that week and how you'd like to tackle it in the lesson. If he...
  9. ottog1979

What's your most important gear that is NOT drum set related.

Me too! This and LiveBPM, together. After a bunch of years using this combo I'm less dependent on them than I used to be but it still keeps everything in line, tempos relaxed, greasy & groovy. I subbed for a band recently, just did my part and didn't want to insert my opinion on how things...
  10. ottog1979

Drum set finish - yea or nay?

That drum throne...
  11. ottog1979

Quieter drums

I use Boso drum sticks in situations where milder volume is necessary. They work well. https://www.bosodrumsticks.com/
  12. ottog1979

Cleaning up old metal snare drums

I've had great success cleaning all types of metal, including metal drum shells, lugs, stands/hardware, etc. with this. Use a toothbrush.
  13. ottog1979

Imagine if...

So I have a take on this. Non-drummer musicians and the audience may not know the technicalities, mistakes and perfection of drummers, but they do know what feels good. That's the biggest and most important measure. Mistakes can, and often do, get in the way of making the music feel good. But...
  14. ottog1979

Paiste

I "discovered" Paiste when two Signature Full Crashes (16" & 18") were on a band's practice studio kit when I showed up for an audition 4-5 years ago. A Zildjian player for 20 years prior, I went right home and bought the exact same cymbals. LOVE them for their glassy shimmer and musicality...