Recent content by oops

1. oops

Games for Kids

Hey guys, Wondering if anyone has suggestions for games for teaching little kids. I've got a pretty good book that I teach out of that goes through the basics of readings, grooves and a couple songs etc but I'm finding a couple students have problems with focusing for an entire 30 minute...
  2. oops

'Drum and Bass' Grooves in 7

Hey guys, Guitarist in one of my ensembles brought in a new tune in 7/8 last week, said he's looking for a 'drum and bass' type groove over top. Wondering if people can give suggestions of records to listen to get groove ideas from. A 7/8 DnB track would be fantastic but general suggestions of...
  3. oops

16th Note Groove Song Ideas

Hey guys, Looking for some suggestions for fairly easy 16th note groove ideas, thinking similar to 'This Love' or 'Sunday Morning' (Maroon 5). Those are both straight 8ths on the hats with syncopated 16th parts on the kick, the other option could be 16ths on hats as well! Got a couple...
  4. oops

Jorge Rossy

Not sure why he doesn't have a thread yet, but here it is! A subtle, tasteful jazz player, on the NY scene for most of the 90s and early 2000s, seems like he's moved to Spain now and is focusing on piano. Still doing fill in slots with Wayne Shorter's Quartet though! List of recording credits...
  5. oops

Sibelius Notation

Hey guys, Trying to put several transcriptions I've done into Sibelius, needing some assistance! First up, what would you use to notate a 'splashed' hi-hat with the foot? (and is there a way to make it play back that sound?) Second how would you distinguish between a rim-click (butt of stick...
  6. oops

Practicing Gadd's 'The Solo'

Hey guys, Been working on Gadd's piece 'The Solo' from his 'Up Close' book. Managed to clock the whole thing at about 95 BPM, my goal is 110 (that's what I counted the video of Gadd doing on Youtube at). My only issue is the triplets towards the end. They're written KLR KLR. I can play them...
  7. oops

Teaching Method: Songs

Hey guys, Quick question regarding teaching students. Up to this point I've had a fairly set curriculum where I teach basics of reading, grooves, fills and songs in a sequential order that makes sense. It works well for the average age of my student (7-13), but I've got one student who's...
  8. oops

Drums in Gypsy Jazz

Hey, Got booked to do a gig mid-Feb, playing 'gypsy jazz' with a violinist, guitarist and bass player. The only music of this type that I've really listened to (and even that's been pretty light) has been Django. And I can't really recall any drums on any of his recordings. Anyone got any...
  9. oops

Short Jazz example, Critique my playing!

Hey guys, Would love some critique of my playing, it's a really brief version of the tune "Anthropology" (Charlie Parker). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSm_hPP7lXg First up I'm trying a really high tom tuning, would love some thoughts on that. Also general comments about my solo, feel, how...
  10. oops

Recommend me a snare (Jazz/Funk)

Hey guys, Sorry to add to the overall pool of threads on DW, but I've got a sort of specific question. I have a Tama maple snare that I've been using for a while now, it sounds good for what it is, and i'm decently happy with it. I've got my 21st birthday coming up, and figured that I can get...
  11. oops

Pricing on Ziljian 12" Light Hi Hats?

Hey guys. I was down at the local second hand store, and found a set of Vintage Zildjian 12" Light Hi Hats. I own a pair of these in 14", they're a dull colour and the only markings on them are a clear Zildjian logo (ink I believe) and a marking: the top side of the top hat says 'Top Light Hi...
  12. oops

Ride Cymbal Technique

I had a lesson today with a new teacher, just looking around at some different guys in Melbourne, having lessons with each looking for someone I really gel with and who can take me in the direction I want to go. This guy was great: open, friendly, very musical, and an awesome drummer to boot...
  13. oops

2 New Band Demos: Superstition and SonnyMoon For Two

Hey guys! Here's some newer stuff I've been playing on. My Jazz Quartet went into our school studios and recorded 4 tracks. I ended up keeping this take of SonnyMoon For Two (12 Bar Blues by Sonny Rollins) because I like what I do solo-wise in the trading section at the end. I'd love some...
  14. oops

Learning Cover Sets Quickly

So i've been offered a wedding gig, playing percussion with a trio (guitar, bass and vocals). They play with lots of backing tracks (mainly keys, and drums I guess). I've 69 songs to learn for the 22nd of November. Any clues? I'm going to chart everything, most likely even play with charts...
  15. oops

Paul Motian

I searched pretty hard but couldn't find a thread for him, so here goes. Official Page: http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Paul_Motian.html Myspace: www.myspace.com/paulmotian Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Motian My first experience with Paul was Bill Evan's Waltz For Debby...