Recent content by ohiodrummer1964

1. O

Steve Gadd Question Finally Answered

I don't know why it took me until 25 years after having the internet to think of this, but yesterday I emailed Steve Gadd and asked him if the stick click at 4:57 in the Steely Dan song Aja was just an accident that Donald Fagen and Walter Becker liked enough to keep, or if he did it on purpose...
  2. O

Drummers Who Write Songs

I'm listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage while I'm on the internet, and he just played a song that the drummer in a band wrote. He made a joke that drummers can write songs, you just usually don't want to hear them all that often. Grrrrrrrrr, lol. (He did say he likes to kid his...
  3. O

Buddy Rich on Double Bass

If this has been posted before I apologize. I used the search function and didn't see it. Here's a youtube clip I found of a short solo Buddy Rich played on double bass drums. No other drums. The clip's description explains why. It's just audio, but there are a couple pics of him sitting at...
  4. O

Steely Dan Aja - More than Drums

I was just listening to the song Aja by Steely Dan, and thought about all the times I've read other drummers on here talking about how good Steve Gadd's drum fills are in this song. I absolutely agree, but one thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is how well the drums fit in with the rest...
  5. O

Vintage Drum Dealers

I have a question about purchasing vintage drums. Would it be safer to spend the extra money and buy from a dealer like Steve Maxwell or Jollity Drum Farm, as opposed to purchasing from a private seller, if one isn't knowledgeable enough to spot a fake vintage drum set, or one that isn't all...
  6. O

Jazz Hats and Ride Sizes

I have a set of Paiste PST5 cymbals my dad bought me when I first started, 14-16-18-20. I want to upgrade to Paiste Traditionals. Those are too expensive to get hats, two crashes and a ride, plus I'm much more interested in studying jazz at this stage, so I just want a pair of hats and a ride...
  7. O

The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour

Last night on PBS they played two back-to-back episodes of Great Performances. One was on the making of the movie Magical Mystery Tour, followed by the movie itself. This was the first time I've ever seen the movie, and I hadn't listened to the album in years. Ringo's drums and playing...
  8. O

Dream Bliss Crash/Rides too Washy?

Hi, I'm a novice drummer interested in playing jazz (bop) and rock. I have two kits, one I want to put Remo Fiberskyn's on to use for jazz, and another I want to use with clear heads for rock. I've been researching cymbals to buy for each kit, since I want a bright sound for rock and a dark...
  9. O

Question for Wonder1

Wonder1, I love the custom kits you make. I'm really into small kits (micro kits, cocktail kits, nesting kits, etc.), because I'm disabled and have to rely on friends to carry my gear for me, and want to make that burden as small as possible. I know someone asked you about taking custom orders...
  10. O

Question for Bermuda, Bobdadruma or Anyone - Concert Toms

Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice given. I am receiving the limited edition Pearl Rythm Traveler Pod kit tomorrow. It has 8, 10 and 12 concert toms. I know from reading through several posts on heads for concert toms that Remo Emporors, Evans Hydraulics and Aquarian Studio-X Coated...