Recent content by NickSchles

1. NickSchles

5 way coordination workouts.

So over the last month I've been working on my 5 way coordination by playing elaborate foot ostinatos over paradiddle inversions and singing songs on top of that. It's been tons of fun to work on, and when adding a gap click to the proceedings, the challenge is even harder. That said, the...
  2. NickSchles

Do you practice Yoga, and have you found it's helped your playing?

Thanks for reading the article and feedback! That's awesome that you're a calisthenics athlete; the flexibility / mobility element of Yoga, I'd imagine, are fantastic for the kind of work you do, right?
  3. NickSchles

Do you practice Yoga, and have you found it's helped your playing?

Some years ago I used to teach a girl who was a proficient Yogi. Over the course of a couple of lessons we got talking about certain Yoga principles. These, I thought could be really useful for us drummers in both practicing and learning our instrument. So I wrote an article about it which was...
  4. NickSchles

I just bought a Tune-Bot Studio... What's your experience with it?

Sweet! Can't wait to try it tomorrow.
  5. NickSchles

Thanks, bud! I will check this out as well as download the file tomorrow! Exciting times!
  6. NickSchles

So, I've just bought a Tune-Bot Studio, and I'm very excited about it. I decided to go for it for several reasons. Amongst these are helping me keep consistent tunings, experiment with suggested tunings but, most importantly, to help me improve my tuning skills by training my ears...
  7. NickSchles

DO YOU PLAY OTHER INSTRUMENTS?!

So, here's the score... My main instrument is the drums, but my first instrument was actually the guitar... I love playing it, but I don't do it often enough. This is mostly because, for my own personal compositions, I find the process daunting and, because I'm perfectionist, the whole thing...
  8. NickSchles

Time of my life drummer

You see, my guess is that it’s probably Jeff Porcaro. But again, what do I know… I’m trying to dig around. Either way, it’s defo not a drum machine!
  9. NickSchles

WHAT'S THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS GIFT?

OK, so I got inspired and wrote a little blog post about Christmas gift ideas for drummers... You know, the holiday season is around the corner, and well, I want people to know what to get me, lol. To be fair though, the kinds of gift ideas I thought about were more on the reasonable budget end...
  10. NickSchles

Damn you, imposter syndrome!

It doesn't mean you're a fraud, it's just insecurity. I mean, I've taught lots of students who have become great drummers, and also done work with lots of bands and producers who have commended my work, and been called back. In spite of these things, I still feel self-doubt. But hey... It's how...
  11. NickSchles

That's great, man! I'm very happy for you, and I agree with you to a large extent. That said, saying self-doubt doesn't stand a chance is pretty black and white when this type of thing is influenced by factors wider than just work ethic (i.e. upbringing, etc).
  12. NickSchles

Do you get imposter syndrome? I do. It happens from time to time, but when it does come, it's a crappy state of mind to be in, and it can last from a few hours to a whole day, or sometimes a week. I wrote a little blog post about it because I wanted to share my experience with it, and...
  13. NickSchles

GREAT PREAMPS FOR OVERHEADS?

Sweet! Thanks for the advice and sorry for the late reply.
  14. NickSchles

That's cool. A friend of mine loves his RNC. Thanks for your recommendation!
  15. NickSchles

Thanks, dude. That's very helpful; I'll check these out. I'm also UK-based, in London. How about yourself?