Recent content by NickSchles

1. NickSchles

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM SOUL VACCINATION

Thanks, man! It was hard work, but worth the journey!
  2. NickSchles

It definitely is a great groove, and a fun song to learn. There's loads in there to improve all aspects of one's playing. It inspired me to write those two blog posts I posted. The one which is centred around creativity came about because I started permuting snares and bass drum strokes to...
  3. NickSchles

OK, so I'm pretty chuffed with myself because I've done a drum cover of Soul Vaccination by Tower Of Power. I've been studying David Garibaldi's playing for a few months now, and I find it's doing my playing a lot of good. All the way from time and feel, to technique and coordination, and...
  4. NickSchles

THE CONNECTION BETWEEN LANGUAGE AND RHYTHM

Thanks, man! 😊
  5. NickSchles

Ha! That’s great. Glad you liked it. And, sure thing, drop me an email and we’ll sort something out. 😊
  6. NickSchles

What corny video?! 🙃
  7. NickSchles

I don’t blame you... I love lasagna too, so I understand your disappointment.
  8. NickSchles

The system works great with everyone coz it’s memorable! I find “dragonfly” is god go coz “dragon” is two short syllables, and the “n” is started slightly. With other rhythms such as your “_e+a” I tell the student it’s a “(ca)terpillar”, etc. At the end of the day, I’ve tailored the system...
  9. NickSchles

Don't know about you, but I've always found the connection between language and rhythm fascinating. Words have their own inherent rhythms (i.e. syllables) that we can use to string together rhythmic passages / phrases. Without wanting to go into detail, there are some fantastic articles and...
  10. NickSchles

SIX STROKE ROLL CREATIVE APPLICATIONS! :)

Every so often I get the opportunity to write for a website or magazine. The latest was an article I wrote for Drumhead Authority where I break down a creative funk groove I came up with based on a Six Stroke Roll. In it, I go through the concepts I apply to the rudiment to in order to get to...
  11. NickSchles

How many of you are self-taught?

Agreed. I learned to play drums on my own, and for years just taught myself to play along to records, and in bands. However, it wasn't until I started taking lessons that my progress was exponential. It's such an incredible and invaluable investment on one's self-development!
  12. NickSchles

I feel you! My first instrument was the guitar, and I taught myself to play... My teachers were The Beatles, Nirvana, Metallica, Megadeth, etc... I think it's very important to learn more than one instrument in order to be a well-rounded musician.
  13. NickSchles

Great points, indeed. I agree with you... It's not a binary thing about "formal lessons" vs "self-learning", there's a grey area in the middle too.