Recent content by newoldie

1. newoldie

Bass drum “sweet spot”

My BD's have been 12-14" deep (12 being the Sonor Player kit BD), but a friend who builds custom drums built his own set with a 20 x 15, as he knew that sound was a solid compromise between 14 and 16 depths. I'd love to hear a 20 x 15 and wouldn't mind owning one as well.
  2. newoldie

Ddrum upping their game?

Beautiful looking drum set. Funny how Ddrum is sticking with the cannon sized bass drums, though. I haven't seen a shallow sized BD from them before (12-15" deep).
  3. newoldie

Cymbal Fest #1 - Ride Cymbals

Feast your eyes and ears on this incredible collection of ride cymbals that Rick Dior owns and demos.
  4. newoldie

Dark but not trashy?

I recently purchased a used Sabian Vanguard 20" Ride. Dark but good articulation, a thin and relatively light cymbal perfect for small groups. I suppose the list of dark but not trashy cymbals could be quite extensive (and subjective).
  5. newoldie

Nick D'Virgilio - My new Sabian Cymbal stash

A bunch of new Sabian cymbals and models demo'd, with the usual informative, concise and entertaining reviews by Nick D. I love watching his videos and his drumming at the end with those cymbals sounds beautiful.
  6. newoldie

What cheap cymbal surprised you?

Another of the 2 inexpensive ( but not "cheap" in the sense of it lacking quality) cymbals I recently purchased ( on Amazon) that has worked out very well is the 16" Paiste PST Cajon crash. It's easily opened crashability, slightly dark/trashy sound, and light ride capabilities has allowed me...
  7. newoldie

What cheap cymbal surprised you?

Sabian Monarch XSR 14" Hi Hats. Bought them several weeks ago, used from GC online, very happy with the drier sound they give. I also am enjoying their visual look as the icing on the cake. Value priced compared to other premium lines, but the definitive chick and crisp stick definition are...
  8. newoldie

Evans dB One Low Volume Cymbals and Mesh Drumheads

Evans enters the quiet volume market. Nick D. demos. Anyone tried the heads or cymbals yet?
  9. newoldie

Drum Candy podcast: new format

Post a link so others can find it quickly?
  10. newoldie

Sabian XSR Monarch

Must be great to add that to your collection. I've been interested in the Monarch line for around 5 years but didn't have a need until recently for small very quiet trio work. Love the sound and crashability. Recently found a used pair of 14 Monarch hats on GC for a good price, purchased--...
  11. newoldie

Cymbals for low volume situations

I've had these Monarchs in mind for a while now. When they first came out, my local GC actually had them on display and I sampled a few and was quite surprised by the low volume they generated even with stronger hits, the pleasant mellow sounds. Plus, I'm a big Sabian fan. But they weren't...
  12. newoldie

Roc-N-Soc Nitro or Manual spindle

I've used 2 Nitros exclusively for the last 8 years. The first one has a saddle seat, which initially I thought felt comfortable, but after buying the 2nd one with a round seat I found my bass drum technique felt easier with the round one-- almost as if the saddle seat inhibited my leg muscle's...
  13. newoldie

Basic Hand Technique Revisited Part 1- The Traditional Grip

Another high quality, well explained instructional from (IMO) one of the best percussionists and teachers on the internet. As a teacher, Rick has the rare ability to impart technique and knowledge in a way that demystifies the esorterics, while simplifying the solutions. And highly enjoyable.
  14. newoldie

Remo Inc. Factory Tour with Nick D'Virgilio

Love Nick's/Sweetwater's percussion videos. This newest video is another winner.