Recent content by MrPockets

1. MrPockets

College to study drum set and something else

Peter Erskine is at USC.
  2. MrPockets

History of Jazz - Drum Kit

The above image was posted on a fountain pen subreddit I follow. This is some study notes for a history of Jazz test the poster will take. Kind of a curiosity to see how some people teach what drums are. The book knows what "dropping bombs" is, but calls snare comping, 'fills'?
  3. MrPockets

Anyone ever been to the Funk Music Hall of Fame in Dayton, OH?

Will be there in April. My brother plays guitar and he said he got a kick out of it. The owner gave his friend and him a tour.
  4. MrPockets

How much spare gear do you bring to a gig?

I have two full kits as backup.
  5. MrPockets

How do you count?

Quarters at minimum. Subdivide more the slower the tempo. Yes. whatever note gets the beat. Count down beats. Say it with intent. Conversation volume should be fine. Never stop counting during practice. Doesn't have to be every exercise since you wont count out loud when playing live.
  6. MrPockets

INTERVIEWED HER

If the OP was coherent and actually said the name of the person he interviewed he would have been received well. Instead he barged into the door screaming nonsense.
  7. MrPockets

must know drum songs

Bang on the Drum All Day
  8. MrPockets

Annoyed by how people treat gear at music stores.

Sometimes I go to the GC drum room and just fart.
  9. MrPockets

New Orleans Style Drumming

I did lots of 2nd line playing in college jazz band. Played with everyone here besides the trumpet player with the red shoes, bass drummer, and tuba player. The guy in the Bucs hat and the other trumpet player were my instructers. I should scan in some of the patterns I have...
  10. MrPockets

Good drummer Films/Books for entertainment

You can see Rainn Wilson drumming naked in 'The Rocker'.
  11. MrPockets

Stupid things people have said or asked you about playing drums while gigging

In HS the Jazz Band toured local grade schools. I was playing a blue Yamaha. A kindergartner asked if the drum set was blue.
  12. MrPockets

Interview to teach at School of Rock

Teaching technique in a song context should be incredibly easy. Mostly due to the fact that the student has context within the song. Maybe don't go super specific grip or stroke type things.
  13. MrPockets

A Modern Day Touring Drummer's Gear Requirements...Holy Smokes!

I always assumed that was for tuning and not tamber.
  14. MrPockets

New to the Drum World

1. Practice 2. Play with Others 3. Realize "drummer" is a dead and dying profession unable to support you financially and very few people can make a living out of it.
  15. MrPockets

Josh Dion & Paris Monster: Interesting

Good drummer. Never heard anyone use so many words to say so little in his Drumeo video though.