Recent content by mrmike

1. mrmike

You sound the way you sound regardless of the PDP or the $8500 DW Exotic

I'm sure you've all seen this <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. mrmike

'Too perfect' drum covers?

I really have no idea but this is my guess. Based on just watching her she is good and can play well. The video was shot separate from the recording. The recording was probably like most modern recordings, everything fixed and most likely snapped to grid.
  3. mrmike

What's the best maple snare you've owned / used ?

Early 90's Slingerland 6.5x14 Radio King. Was a bit boxy sounding until I sent it to Precision Drum to re-work the bottom edge and beds. After that it was outstanding. I sold it when the guy I bought it from went to prison for something really bad. Didn't want the bad ju-ju. Keep looking at RK's...
  4. mrmike

Least favorite wrap or finish...

... Butcher Block. Reminds me of when they stop using real wood for car interiors and exteriors. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
  5. mrmike

Help with hardware bag sizing!!

Once you figure out the smallest bag that will cary everything you need, get one with wheels and a pull handle. Wish I had done that years ago. This is what I use...
  6. mrmike

Shure beta 56a for snare

I was actually ok with the snare sound through a 57 I just didn't realize how useful it was to have less bleed.
  7. mrmike

Advice on Audio Interface

I recently built myself a thunderbolt 4 PC but continued to use a firewire interface. When the interface crapped out right before a session, I headed to Guitar center with the intent of buying an eight channel thunderbolt interface but all they had was an 18i20. I took it home with intent of...
  8. mrmike

Shure beta 56a for snare

Much less hi hat bleed! I was using a standard 57 but never realized how much of everything else going into the snare mic was mucking things up. Not that the bleed always sounded bad but not dealing with an overly loud rack tom and muddy hats just made my day :-)
  9. mrmike

hi hats for brushes

From what I remember hats like Paiste sound edge would really cut when you hit them and I imagine there would be less air locks and a nice chick sound but I really don't have any first hand experience.
  10. mrmike

hi hats for brushes

Hats with a good chick sound? Zildjian New Beats were invented for just that. I believe it was Louis Belson that discovered a light top and heavy bottom produced a better chick that you could hear. For even more chick Zildjian quick beats have holes in the bottom to prevent air locks but really...
  11. mrmike

Deleted

Pork Pie 7x13 Brass Patina. Found one used from GC web site for $100. When it arrived there was two in the box lol. Ranked in the top of any of my 20 plus snares in sound. I keep looking at more expensive 13x7 brass snares but not sure why.
  12. mrmike

22" vs 20" Bass Drums

I've been happy with my 14x20 bass drum for just about everything. It's still my main gigging drum mainly because I like the convenience of a 4 piece and it's a kit that I'm not worried about scratching it up and the 20 really covers everything I need to play. My 18x22 had been sitting in the...
  13. mrmike

Drum mics and mixer ?

My personal experience has always been anything more than 4 mics my sound gets worse. Clearly it's because I don't know what I'm doing but it may make more sense to get a good sound with fewer mics first and budget wise I think this makes even more sense. I would spend as much as I could on one...
  14. mrmike

What would you do if you were me? ($10-15k budget, first mic'd studio drum kit)

10 grand? 8k cymbals and snares, 1k used kit and 1k your favorite beverage.
  15. mrmike

Snare stand choked out my tom, that's not what I wanted.

Try a different stand. Funny how just the wrong mount, stand and shell combo will create some kind of bad frequency juju. I seem to have the best luck with DW ultralite snare/tom stand.
Back