Recent content by moodman

1. M

What's In A Name?

In highschool my bandmates called me Ludwig VonMoodenheimer, and variously, Mood, Moodeye, Lud & Moodman. Looking through a book of names, my wife came up with these actual names, Boyne Doyne for a boys name. Good thing we never had kids. I had uncles named Judge, Perk, Shorty, Red, Sprout...
  2. M

INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

Watching a drummer play is a good way to demystify and inform. Playing along with a song and learning it's parts, is a good learning experience, What's missing are spontaneity and improvisation as well as interaction in real time. For drummers that don't choose to play out for people, with...
  3. M

Rooms/stages that you've played

I played a wedding by a swimming pool, after a couple of hours of drinking most of the crowd started jumping in the pool. at some point there were enough people in the pool that it started overflowing, flooding the spot where we'd sat up. The bass player got a shock singing into a mic and that's...
  4. M

You know you’re getting old when...

I think the first word is wipeout
  5. M

I did a fill in gig at the Snafu club just outside the gates of FT Benjamin Harrison in Indianoplace, the crowd all drunk soldiers. The drums were on the pool table covered with plywood. Just one set and then the regular drummer showed up, I was really glad to leave. I played a biker rally where...
  6. M

What's better

Depends on what makes you happy, I play because I love drums but I do want to perform when I get to. There will always be drummers better and drummers worse, than me. I do what I'm good at, don't play what I'm not down with. I've played 60 years, tons of bands, but I don't have some skills you'd...
  7. M

You know you’re getting old when...

You know you've gotten old when your Grandpa would be 156, (Whit Lakins b1865, married late in life) your Dad would be 113, (Ira Moody b1908) your first 2 homes had outhouses and you were born at home in a 2 room log cabin. (I was born in 1946. My Dad, a lineman, spent the war years working as a...
  8. M

Great responses. The good sounding rooms are a godsend and don't we all love good sound reinforcement!! And if it doesn't make us 'play better' it enables playing our best, feeling it will be heard like we mean it to be. That playing on a shallow stage really messes with communication, done it...
  9. M

Positive effects of negative feedback

' the truth hurts' 'the truth will set you free' 'the truth will out' While I believe criticism should be the realm of instructors, sometimes some observer, well-intentioned or not, may be our source of enlightenment. What one does with that depends on the individual. Such comments helped me...
  10. M

Some rooms/stages can enhance the sound of your well-tuned drums, some seem to deaden them or worse. Especially true if your working un-mic'd. Generally, I've come to like hollow, uncarpeted stages with a reflective backwall as opposed to curtains etc. but, they're all different. The weirdest...