Recent content by moneydog59

1. M

Filming yourself while playing

I've been using something called VLC Media Player for the .mov files. I downloaded for free.
  2. M

Rosie

Sweet Jane And actually, Rosalie is a Bob Seger tune (from album Back in 72)
  3. M

Mixer for full drum miking

I've used this in the past and was really happy with it...
  4. M

Should I stay or should I go....

Can you do both?
  5. M

I needed the weight (Crosstown discussion)

For what it's worth, I've gigged with 15" hats with the Crosstown HH stand without problems.
  6. M

Istanbul Agop Xist.....anyone use them?

I've got a pair of the 15" hi hats. They are solid, and do agree, remind me of Zildjian. Maybe a hair less "brighter" than the New Beats. They've been relegated to the storage cymbal bag due to GAS and my fascination with the Sabian HHX lineup. Let me know if you'd be interested in them.
  7. M

I'm just about convinced

Pete, you said your most expensive snares are your best sounding. . .REF I guess, would say prove it. Put the identical heads on your pricey vs less expensive snares. Tune them as closely as possible, LET OTHERS HEAR, and decide if there's a truly discernable difference. You paid for the...
  8. M

What ultimately made you decide on the brand of drums you play?

I'm a relative newb, played as a kid, now 50 odd years later, back it and having a ball. First started researching kits on the innerwebs in 2017. Based on videos, price and reviews, Mapex seemed like best bang for buck. Bought a set of Armorys, Photon Blue. Nice kit, it's in a rehearsal space...
  9. M

I suddenly own this 6-piece Yamaha Tour Custom

So reading this thread.....has sparked an acute GAS attack....I'm looking around the interwebs, and it appears that the only way to get the 16 x 15 floor tom is to get the rock shell pack (22 in. kick) ? Looking at Yamaha's site and the only floor tom add on available is the 14 x 13. Am I...
  10. M

Gretsch Renown - Tom Mount Sway?

I picked up a used RN2 that I'm gigging with. It came with 10 and 12 in. rack toms. Tom mount has another hole for mounting a cymbal. I went with just the 12 in tom and mounted an 18 crash. As it turned out the both the tom and the cymbal where to the right of the center line of the tom mount...
  11. M

Looking for opinions on the Gretsch Renown RN2 Gig vs. Studio

Thanks for the replies! Actually though and after thinking about it, I guess my question should have been, if you had 2 kits, one the above mentioned Renown RNA and a Mapex Saturn V Tour kit, in sizes 22x14, 16x16, 14x14 13x9 and 12x8 (typically configured as a 1 up 1 down 13x9, 16x16 or 1 up...
  12. M

Looking for opinions on the Gretsch Renown RN2 Gig vs. Studio

Wondering if anyone has opinions on what the better application is for the RN2 Renowns. Sizes are 12, 14, 16, with a 20 x 14 kick (had it cut down by Precision Drum) Do folks think they would be better suited for studio/recording, or for (typically) unmic'ed gigging. Thanks in advance ...
  13. M

The fun sized demo!

Channeling your inner Stanton Moore!!
  14. M

Double bass

I would assume he does. I asked my drum teacher about it, he smiled and just ripped through it one pedal. I needed to use a double pedal, my doubles just aren't fast enough.
  15. M

Double bass

One bass drum, double pedal guy here...American Band was one of the songs that one of the bands I'm in asked me to do for my audition 3 years ago. I had been only back playing 6 months or so at the time and there was no way I was going to be able to get the double in the opening rif, so I...