Recent content by moldmaker

1. M

Cymbals choices for Houses of Worship.

I'm a little late here, but I've been playing at our church about 6 years. The cymbals are all Dream: 15" Contact hats, 22" and 20" Vintage Bliss, and 22" Bliss ride. They are dark, slow, and trashy...just about perfect for a room of 300 people. No plexiglas.
  2. M

Tama IC 900 hi-hat: Lever Glide vs Velo Glide

Interesting. Thanks. I do like the Velo. I like how the cymbals chick and how the pedal stops hard. I don't really want anything softer like I've been reading about the Lever.
  3. M

Bump for some opinions?
  4. M

I have an older Tama hi-hat stand right now and am looking to purchase a new 900. There's a Velo Glide on the kit at church, so I have experience with it. I've been very happy with it over the last 6 years. I wouldn't have any problems purchasing one for my own, but I'm curious about the Lever...
  5. M

What's your latest purchase?

I had a 20” K heavy ride for sale. A guy asked if I would trade it for his Pearl Limited Edition 14x8 snare. I countered with trading my ddrum AMX snare, straight up. He went for it.
  6. M

Shipping a 6-piece

It's been up on Craigslist for awhile now. On Reverb, I've offered free delivery within 100 miles, so that takes care of northern Illinois (Chicago) and southern Wisconsin (Madison and Milwaukee). I'll try the "free shipping" and inflated price.
  7. M

Shipping a 6-piece

Well, I just got a reality check. A hypothetical 24"x24"x24" box that weighs 50lbs costs $132 from my zipcode to Seattle, about the farthest from me. I might have to rethink this.
  8. M

Shipping a 6-piece

This is not intended to be a shameless "buy-my-stuff" plug. I have a 6-piece kit (2 rack, 2 floor, kick, snare) plus gig bags for everything listed for sale online. I'm even willing to meet someone halfway to help with delivery. I'd like to be able to offer shipping without getting destroyed on...
  9. M

Bent snare hoops. This doesn't look right, does it?

In general, it's round, but it is bent in where the lug holes have collapsed towards the center. The hoops aren't egg-shaped or anything. This drum was what, $120 new? I paid $50, and dropping $50 each on new die-cast hoops isn't a real thrilling prospect for me. I, too, read to push down on...
  10. M

Bent snare hoops. This doesn't look right, does it?

Like the title says, I could use another pair of eyes to have a look at my hoops. This is the batter side. The snare side is not as bad. The previous owner of this drum had both heads absolutely cranked. The head won't lay in the hoop either. I almost have to pop it in. When I took it off, I had...
  11. M

The First Kit You Got

CB Maxx with ZBT cymbals. The drums actually sounded okay with new heads.
  12. M

Do beginners really need pro drum kits???

I started drums in 2003 at age 20. Knowing nothing about drum quality, construction, tuning, heads or anything, I cheaped out. For $250, I bought a CB Maxx kit that came with ZBTs and some of the worst hardware I've ever seen (all discovered over the years as I gained knowledge). The hardware...
  13. M

Fiberskyn PS3 coloring

I’m posting an update to this thread. I bought the Fiberskyn from Amazon. I would have rather bought from a music store like Sweetwater, but I didn’t feel like taking the chance after they said that the white head was the current offering. That said, here is a P3 Fiberskyn Felt Tone Diplomat...
  14. M

Zildjian Large Hollow Stamp ID

Thanks for the information. Not that I'm looking to sell it, but do you have any idea what it might be worth?
  15. M

Zildjian Large Hollow Stamp ID

This is my ride cymbal, a 22" Zildjian. It weighs 2585g, and it has a very light, trashy sound and crashes very well. I never gave its age much thought until recently. I found this site: http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#large I was very surprised to learn that it dates to the...