Recent content by Mighty_Joker

1. Mighty_Joker

GADDIMENTS

Agreed. I'm sure the content of the book is valuable and worthwhile, but the marketing is vile.
  2. Mighty_Joker

How to learn linear drumming in a way that is actually applicable to music?

Also, you might find this playlist interesting: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIBi-86_El-OzXbRQnK_xPBD6xbedBsw
  3. Mighty_Joker

How to learn linear drumming in a way that is actually applicable to music?

Thanks Al. Here you go: Linear Freedom
  4. Mighty_Joker

Push pull and weak finger control.

The first Pratt one is not too advanced. It will need an “advanced” drummer to play them well to tempo, but the material itself is simple enough. Take it slowly and they are great Rudimental workouts at any level
  5. Mighty_Joker

Ha! I was in two minds, but it’s worth knowing about, even if just as a contrast to the Rudimental stuff.
  6. Mighty_Joker

Soundproofing air vents in a drum room

Here you go: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIBi-86_El-8XiX0aCjTt6jWJvuGykpM One of the videos on that playlist shows you exactly what we did with the vents. Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
  7. Mighty_Joker

There are a few really good ones: John Pratt: 14 Modern Contest Solos for Snare Drum Wilcoxon: Rudimental Swing Solos for the Advanced Drummer You could also check out: The All American Drummer (Wilcoxon) 12 Etudes (Delecluse) (Orchestral style, very challenging if you're unfamiliar)
  8. Mighty_Joker

Yeah I agree. Do you generally subscribe to slow practice to build speed through control and correct motion, or the approach that says "push it and feel the burn"?
  9. Mighty_Joker

I would urge caution here. Firstly I have never seen it used by the top death metal drummers, and secondly I would dispute that it’s easier. In my metal days (which are long behind me now) push pull wasn’t even a thing anyone spoke about. We would sit there for an hour at a time playing a blast...
  10. Mighty_Joker

Push pull and finger control are slightly different things. If you're aiming for blast beats, you want fingers, not push pull. Push pull is a technique primarily used for double strokes and diddles. Yes, players like Jojo (above) can maintain a one-handed roll with a push pull motion, but that...
  11. Mighty_Joker

When do you retire a pair of sticks? (No breaks)

For me it’s the tip. Doesn’t matter how chewed up the shoulder is, if the tip is still full and solid it plays. As soon as the tip chips I retire it.
  12. Mighty_Joker

Three Camps - a quick rendition

Almost certainly. As I said, not coming from a marching background and having only ever studied this sort of material myself, strong, fast, smooth, comfortable doubles have been something I have had to work really hard at. I've doubtless asked for guidance on here about it many times!
  13. Mighty_Joker

Thanks very much. It’s a perfect warm up, cool down, doubles exercise etc. and it sounds great, too.
  14. Mighty_Joker

I noticed this recently when recording myself. It is lower relatively than when I’m sitting. It wasn’t a conscious decision, and when I noticed it I raised it to the same relative level as when I’m sitting and found it uncomfortable. I don’t come from a marching background, which may explain...
  15. Mighty_Joker

Fancied warming down with a classic after a long session: Link