Recent content by Metarhythm

1. M

Zildjian- vintage vs newer

All those who hate the ugly oversized logos, please write the manufacturers! Maybe if enough voice their opinions, manufacturers will take note. Meanwhile, I'll just have to keep scrubbing them off.
  2. M

Zildjian- vintage vs newer

Love the sound of Zildjian Ks. But I hate the logos. Gratuitous and cheap-looking. And the big "K" always makes me think of K-mart. Attention shoppers! Blue Light Special in Aisle 4! I've been experimenting with removing the K. Did so on one cymbal so far, successfully. I kept the small...
  3. M

Poll: Cymbal Logos

Plus: Logos on drums tend to be nice and subtle and unobtrusive, like the Ludwig badges. Why not similar approach to cymbals? I think the engraved or laser-etched markings on Zildjian cymbals are sufficient as far as logos go, and they are pretty much invisible unless one is looking for them...
  4. M

I wish manufacturers would read this thread and consider at least REDUCING the size of their logos, and only putting them on the bottom. Or better yet: doing away with them altogether.
  5. M

Wish there were one more option, but too late now, I guess: "I remove large logos, but leave small logos (and small print which shows the type of cymbal) alone." For example, I hate the big cheesy K on K Zildjians, distracting advertising and ugly. But I do so love their sounds. So I tend...
  6. M

Remo PowerStroke 3 Bass Drum - To Dot or not to Dot?

Thank you... Anyone compare Ambassador vs. PowerStroke (say, both Ebony) for resonant head? Also, is the Dynamo pre-installed a good option, or better to go with a different kind of port protector?
  7. M

Also, any recommendations on a good resonant head to pair? I could leave the stock Ludwig head on, but that's now 3-4 years old. Would it make substantial difference to replace that reso head also? Remo's rep recommended a PowerStroke 3 or 4 Ebony for the reso, to pair with a PowerStroke 3...
  8. M

Thank you for the replies so far. Sounds like I would probably prefer the no-dot version, as I don't seek a really hard attack. Although of course the beater choice and playing style affect the attack as well. I generally use a felt beater to avoid any kind of "click" attack.
  9. M

Hello - Anyone compare the (clear) versions with and without the dot? Also what's a good resonant head to pair with this? (looking for a good solid thump, short sustain, for rock, funk, downtempo; soft to medium playing, single pedal) Thank you....
  10. M

Pedals with Heel Plate for Big Feet

Fair enough about graphics. Also a question, but I assume this is not an issue as I haven't heard others complain: Those pedals (like DW) with apparently raised text; does that become an issue when moving foot around the pedal? Or maybe it's a "friction" benefit, vs. a completely smooth pedal?
  11. M

Another drummer friend swears by the 5000. I also avoided it for two reasons: 1. that rough metal, since I also practice barefoot or with socks 2. (I know, I'm superficial) the huge text "branding" on the pedal Of course, I know that DW pedals are among the most highly rated. But I think that...
  12. M

Thank you for these....the Yamaha pedal does look a bit small though. Do you happen to know the length of footboard and heel plate? Haven't been able to find those specs online. I emailed Yamaha but haven't heard back. The 4th? Turiya? Enlightened Stormtrooper!
  13. M

Glad to hear it. I hope to go test one at a local NYC store this week. Do you find it's fine for heel-down playing also?
  14. M

What about the Yamaha FP7210A, by the way? It's a fraction of the price of the other pedals. Of course, it's single-chain, and lacks many of the adjustment features. In addition to the price, I do like the collapsible wire frame design. If anyone knows the footplate and heel plate lengths for...
  15. M

Thank you, Pete - Which Yamaha pedal is that? FP7210A? https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/drums/ac_drums/hardware/fp7210a/index.html
Back