Recent content by Merlin5

1. Merlin5

On drums...Stewart Copeland!

There was a very entertaining new one hour long documentary on the BBC tonight which hopefully will get to american screens soon. Any other UK members here see it? It was Stewart Copeland exploring drums as the founding instrument of modern music. He interviews, hangs and drums with loads of A...
  2. Merlin5

Play in bass drum legs

Hi chaps. :) I've tried to tighten up some loose play on my Yamaha kick drum legs, both in the same place. Every Allen key I have doesn't work. Either too thin or thick. And one that seems to fit doesn't do anything. I presume it's an Allen key I need? There's two hole positions. One leg moves a...
  3. Merlin5

Few seconds of practise

This wasn't intended as something to post but what the hell, here's 21 bars of practising to some random tune I loaded to my phone from youtube. Basically, I'm just working on trying to get my time smoother, cleaner and more consistent. Actually, that's all I ever focus on, it's the only thing...
  4. Merlin5

Your Place and Drum Gear forums

Sorry, I just realised I should have posted this in the site news forum. Anyway, nothing important but I always wondered why there are duplicate sections where people post their playing or discuss gear below the subforum headers in both those forums. There's the 'Your Place' forum which...
  5. Merlin5

Zoom Q8 problem with 60fps

I've noticed that when recording .mov files in 720p 60fps or WVGA 60fps, and then transferring the .mov files to my laptop and viewing them, the resolution is really low and it causes edges of surfaces to be wavy or jagged, kind of similar looking to the way computer games and graphics used to...
  6. Merlin5

Sweet fuel for drummers

I hope this thread is ok? I know it's not very drumming oriented. But I have a very sweet tooth and love my puddings, especially before a gig for energy or after a gig as a treat. I don't care for cooking much but I enjoy a little bit of baking and making sweet things. Tonight I made a...
  7. Merlin5

Singers timing

This is somewhat off topic but when I occasionally watch talent shows like the x factor or america's got talent, there are several instances of solo singers performing to backing tracks. And then the backing track will drop out while the singer continues and then the backing track comes back in...
  8. Merlin5

Rimshots on die cast hoops

I mostly play triple flange hoops, have done for years ever since I started drumming. I bought a Gretsch 10 ply snare a couple of years ago with die cast hoops. Same as this one. https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gretsch-silver-series-14x5in-maple-snare-gloss-natural/102916 It's a beautiful drum but...
  9. Merlin5

Almost lost my cymbals

Did a trio of gigs this weekend with my regular band on Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. After yesterday afternoon's gig finished at 5.30pm I was in a bit of a hurry to pack the gear up and drive to a family get together 50 miles away for dinner at around 7pm as they were...
  10. Merlin5

Youtube annotations

Basically, how do you add a clickable box with text inside your video to link to another video? I saw a video made in 2014, and 16 seconds before the end, a transparent box appeared saying 'Here's my latest video' which you can click on to take you there. I've added a clickable thumbnail to one...
  11. Merlin5

Never gonna get you stoned

When Earth, Wind & Fire meets Rick Astley meets Ted Nugent meets Ariana Grande's dancers meets a dancing troll. A little something I cooked up last week for a bit of fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Mnibm_-4E
  12. Merlin5

Roland TD9 and wav files

I have a 32GB Corsair flash drive which only has about 190 songs stored at the moment and I keep it inserted in my TD9 USB socket. The TD9 displays all my mp3 and wav files that are on the flash drive; wavs that I'd either ripped from a CD or had created myself in my DAW. But wav files that...
  13. Merlin5

Caves Of Altamira

I found this a tough one to nail, but what an awesome song. I transcribed it note for note as best I could, memorised bits of it and read my messy chart as well. A bit loose in places, but hope you enjoy :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZnKHd9LeaI The chart for anyone vaguely interested...
  14. Merlin5

Walk Between The Raindrops

I always loved this Donald Fagen song. It's very tempting to spice it up and add or change things here and there, but I decided to stay as true as possible to the original and just keep it simple and shuffle right through. Not easy trying to clone Steve Jordan's pocket...
  15. Merlin5

How do you permanently mark your hardware?

I use a Sharpie black ink permanent marker to make lines on my cymbal stands for exact heights of each telescopic tube and how far to extend the legs. I also mark the snare stand so I know how far to extend the legs and how much to raise the tube under the basket. And I mark how far I want boom...