Recent content by Mediocrefunkybeat

1. Mediocrefunkybeat

How do you accept credit card payments?

I accept them graciously and in great volume.
  2. Mediocrefunkybeat

British Drum Company needs to stop doing this...

Al Murray's drum building credentials are about as real as his comedy credentials...
  3. Mediocrefunkybeat

Question on DW cymbal felts

I don't think I've used wingnuts for over ten years. Nothing wrong with using them of course but just don't crank down on the cymbal. If it can swing freely, you're fine.
  4. Mediocrefunkybeat

So. . . .Laptops: My Chromebook won't. . .

Agreed. I don't know what prices are in the States but over here in the UK, £500 would get you a decent second-hand, ex-business laptop and I probably wouldn't consider anything new at that price. I'm a little pickier than some (and I work in IT...) and I do think that the new MacBook Airs...
  5. Mediocrefunkybeat

There are plenty of very compelling Windows laptops out there too. I've always liked ThinkPads and they're always very well built and last too. I currently have two ex-work, 5-year old ThinkPads and would happily use the more powerful (once I upgraded the motherboard!) of them for real work if...
  6. Mediocrefunkybeat

Beginning drumming...were you supported or not supported

My parents were very supportive. Out of fairness they had to be, given that my brother had Piano lessons from age 4 and French Horn from age 8! I gave up on the Piano (no chance with my brother around - genuine prodigy) and I definitely think they preferred the singing lessons and practice but...
  7. Mediocrefunkybeat

Ex-business Thinkpad with 8GB or more (16+ preferably), an i5 (or Ryzen 5) or higher with a big enough SSD running Windows is a good proposition. I've been playing around with running Reaper under WINE on Ubuntu lately and it's not bad at all if you wanted to go down the Linux route. If you...
  8. Mediocrefunkybeat

Something different - Christmas message

Be Excellent to Each Other. And Party on, Dudes.
  9. Mediocrefunkybeat

New to drums, intro and a couple questions.

Thanks for the detailed explanations of your experience there. That really helps me understand your point of view on this.
  10. Mediocrefunkybeat

*No money will change hands* I can see your point of view on this, Brent - I really can. And I agree with your notion of 'progress' being the most important thing. I'm not entirely sure I agree with you when it comes to switching lead hands specifically though because I feel as though this is...
  11. Mediocrefunkybeat

I think Tier 4 has got to me. Mis-read your intention there. Apologies for being an arse.
  12. Mediocrefunkybeat

I will also add that Brent is ten times the player that I am! Not all opinions are equal, etc.
  13. Mediocrefunkybeat

I think you're manipulating and selectively quoting to try and misrepresent, here. I am talking about the ergonomic layout of the drum set and your own physical approach to it. This is the context that you have decided to remove to try and make a spurious point. The traditional layout of a...
  14. Mediocrefunkybeat

Eloy Casagrande

Playing for Sepultura and an absolute monster. Take a look at this: Holy Hell.
  15. Mediocrefunkybeat

A body-related question

You'll be fine. Experiment and try to find an approach that fits you. One of the wonderful things about playing the drums and particularly playing the drums now is that not only are they flexible in terms of layout, but mechanisms like remote hats exist and can help solve a number of...