Recent content by makinao

1. makinao

Do phone videos treat drums as noise?

The problem with phones is that they use an automatic level control a.k.a. compressor. Loud sounds are squashed and quiet sounds are blown out. This pumps up the sustained sounds like guitar power chords, droning basses and screechy vocals, and kills drum transients.
  2. makinao

Cymbal to drum ratio

I just did drums for a virtual choir. 5 Drums: kick, rack, floor, 2 snares. 7 Cymbals: 3 crashes, 2 chinas, 1 ride, 1 splash. I couldn't help myself. Hahahahaha!
  3. makinao

Want your input on steel snare drums.....

I have 14x5.5, 12x5, and 10x5 steel Pearls. They are happy and rumbunctious, have all kinds of odd overtones. and are fun to play. Just get one with a reliable throw, triple flanged hoops, your choice of single ply heads, and let it rip!
  4. makinao

Show me your cymbal scale.

http://www.cymbalutopia.com/www.cymbalutopia.com/Cymbals_101_%26_Weight_Table.html
  5. makinao

Pearl drums

I don't know, but Ludwig has TWENTY-TWO snare models, and ELEVEN kits. Yamaha has TEN snares and ELEVEN kits. Tama has SIXTY-THREE snares and SEVENTEEN kits. Gretsch has THIRTY snares and EIGHT kits.
  6. makinao

Want to add another crash

Get something DIFFERENT. Like an ozone/efx or a crash of doom.
  7. makinao

Tidied up my drum room. It was worth it.

Lucky you only had to tidy up. I had to completely pack up. Its summer now in the Philippines, with Heat Index reaching mid-40C. The air conditioner in our master bedroom died, and we can't have it fixed because of the lockdown. The drum room was the only other room with a working one. So I had...
  8. makinao

Thoughts on Phil Collins

Unlike Ringo, PC was a bonafide 70s fusion / prog rock drummer. I'd put him closer to Bruford, the two having had tenures in both Brand X and Genesis.
  9. makinao

Gear shopping while you're hungry.

Don’t. Just don’t.
  10. makinao

Is this vintage Zildjian a crash, a ride, or a crash/ride?

I have a 2013 18" A thin crash which is 1331grams, and a 2009 A Custom Projection crash which is 1518 grams. So yours could be a medium-thin or medium crash.
  11. makinao

edit: What Is It? (pics added)

My mid-70s 22" medium ride is 3313 grams. It's still my only ride. If it's anything like mine, you did good.
  12. makinao

Bought an interesting cymbal.....

I have 6. Will I make it? :-)
  13. makinao

4PC,5PC,6PC KIT ?

I grew with a 2-up, 1-down, 1 snare, hh, ride, crash ride, and crash kit. But I went into a hiatus from the late 90s until 2008. When I came back to playing, I just set up 1-up, 1-down in my kit. But since then, I've added many cymbals and 3 snares. The old me played lots of fills on toms. The...
  14. makinao

Must have snares

Your acro is a fine all-around snare. If you get anything else, it has to be very different from it. One option is to get a 10". They are a big contrast to 14" snares, and are really fun to play. They are almost de rigueur for "drum and bass", and as a side snare for pop and hiphop. If you...