Recent content by lsits

1. lsits

Is it me, or do those sticks look gigantic?

Even those are tiny compared to these: Check out Buffin's sticks.
  2. lsits

show off your snare

Early 60's Chrome-Over-Brass Gretsch 4160. Not all original ( P-85 throw-off), but it sounds fantastic. There must be a reason that they're still selling them today.
  3. lsits

Look what fell into mt lap.

About a month ago I got together with an old friend and a couple of his friends to jam. When I was packing up my stuff he brought in this old Gretsch 4160 and said that I could have it. It's from the early 60's with the smooth shell and the round badge. I think it originally came with the micro...
  4. lsits

Too old to Play Drums

Ed Cassidy, the drummer for Spirit, was Randy California's Step-dad. He was about 20 years older than the rest of the band.
  5. lsits

EPIC drum fills...

Another John Bonham fill. On "Whole Lotta Love: When therr'e coming out of the guitar solo and back into the main riff. Those eighth notes on the snare always send a chill up (or down) my spine.
  6. lsits

What are your favorite albums?

Right now... Queen - Queen II Led Zeppelin - First album Kansas - Song For America Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Yes - Relayer Nektar - Remember The Future Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs Mott the Hoople - The Hoople
  7. lsits

Pearl P932 or used DW5000 or 9000 Double Pedal?

I have both the P930 and the P932. They are both smooth and quick. (quicker than I am, at least), Not a lot of adjustments, but I'm happy with the spring tension and the pedal angle. Good solid pedal and definitely quieter than my old Speed King.
  8. lsits

Have you ever practiced dropping sticks?

It happens to the best of drummers. Even the best of the best. Notice that he didn't get the right stick until the third time With my 20" bass drum I can place a stick between the shell and one of the tension rods with the butt end toward me. If I'm using the 22" bass, the stick slides...
  9. lsits

Cymbal choke

What are the techniques that you use regarding cymbal chokes? things like placement of the stick in the choking hand, placement of the choked cymbal, etc. I have found that if I place the crash cymbal in a comfortable position for hitting with a stick, I have to lean out three or four inches to...
  10. lsits

Is there such a beast?

I've spent the past two day re-arranging my drum space. My audio hook-up is a hadge-podge of a metronome on my phone, and an mp3 player. Outputs are to a set of headphones, and also to a set of powered PA speakers. Whenever I want to change either the inputs or outputs, I disconnect and...
  11. lsits

One more week!

Til I get to see Bermuda and that other guy that he works with in concert. Anybody else here (besides Bermuda) going to the show in Palm Desert. According to the interwebs, The McCallum Theatre only holds 1,200 So I'll be nice and close.
  12. lsits

Memorial Day.

I proudly served in the U.S. Navy in Patrol Squadron 9. Here's an incident that happened when I first got to the squadron: http://www.vpnavy.com/vp9586.html While this happened at the height of the Cold War, the whole crew would have perished had it not been for a Russian fishing trawler.
  13. lsits

14x6.5 Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare drum.

Just received my Guitar Center Memorial Day flyer and noticed that the 14 x 6.5 Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare is on sale for $100. I think that the regular price is $140. If I didn't already have a steel snare (Chad Smith 14 x 5) I'd take a serious look at this one.
  14. lsits

"New" pedal case.

Well, my Pearl P930 pedal didn't come with a carrying case. I was in the process of tossing out some old boxes and came across an old laptop box. I got an idea: I took off the plastic handle, cut a couple of holes in the box the pedal came in, added a couple of pieces of velcro, and I have a...
  15. lsits

I'm a llucky guy!

A couple of months ago I was jonesing (do people still say that?) for a new snare drum. I had almost enough gig money saved up to buy a Pork Pie Big Black snare. Before I could pull the trigger I started having problems with my bass drum pedal. Well a new pedal was more important than a new...