Recent content by LarryJ

1. LarryJ

what are your hobbies (legal ones ) !

Building and driving ...
  2. LarryJ

Buyer Asking for 'Receipt of Purchase'

May not apply here, but having a tracking number does not mean the item shipped unless the carrier has scanned the package. When I ship anything worth more than a few bucks, I always get a receipt at the counter. This proves I actually delivered it to the carrier, even if they lose it before...
  3. LarryJ

You know you’re getting old when...

When you hate that new band, The Rolling Stones, your kids are listening to...
  4. LarryJ

I need help..not with drumming, but 'being in a band'.

I would do the audition on their kit. The band is either good musicians who understand your situation and will make allowances for it. If not, you probably don't want to play with them anyway. As Rotarded said, you are auditioning them too. I once went to a jam session where the regular...
  5. LarryJ

Why I don't want help taking down, even carrying my drums.

I play in a big band, 13 horn players and 3 vocalists. Have no idea how I would react if someone offered to help.
  6. LarryJ

Unusual Gig Stories

About 5 years ago, blues gig way out in the country in a small concrete block building. Run by a self-proclaimed Rastafarian in his late '60s. Sign at the front door said "No guns, No knives, No fighting, No baggy pants." Metal detector at the entrance. Big guy, 250-280, came up to the front...
  7. LarryJ

Does the Musician's Friend SDOTD ever have drum gear?

Very seldom see drum stuff, but every once in a while ... Got a Protection Racket 13 x 6-1/2 snare bag for $15 the week after I got my 13 x 7 zTama Artwood.
  8. LarryJ

Drummer jokes

Did you hear about the bass player who locked his keys in his car? They liked to never got the drummer out.
  9. LarryJ

"Wide" jazz ride pattern?

I have found, playing in big bands with very good but not professional players, that horn players as a section do not deal well with behind or ahead of the beat. If the drummer or bass player is behind the beat, the horns play behind, behinder, and more behinder each beat until the tempo drags...