Recent content by KarlCrafton

1. KarlCrafton

Drum bag recommendations?

If you didn't get any bags yet, I can recommend BEATO Bags, 1000% Worth every cent. Great zippers, solid quality. I have a cymbal bag, stick bag, pedal bag, hardware bag. LOVE them.
  2. KarlCrafton

First time In Ear Monitors

The KZ AS10's are FANTASTIC sounding! I was really surprised. I actually got them based on the reviews on Drummerworld. Not very expensive, if you don't need to go the custom molded route.
  3. KarlCrafton

Supralite Head

Yes, It's the impost head with Ludwig type coating. Attack brand used to be similar, but there are new owners, and I believe a new film. They had a heavier coating. Aquarian Texture Coated single ply is similar, but not as thin. The Supralite is a great snare. All of the sizes sound really...
  4. KarlCrafton

Does the cymbal stand make a difference in the cymbal's sound?

I haven't noticed any difference between heavy, medium or flat base stands. If he's using Tama flat base stands, I believe the threaded post the cymbal goes on may be 6mm, instead of 8mm, and that will make a little difference in the amount of swing the cymbal has. The felts on those stands are...
  5. KarlCrafton

People with 26" bass drums: WTF do you drive?

I'll second this also. I had one of these and these have a TON of space.
  6. KarlCrafton

People with 26" bass drums: WTF do you drive?

I can get my kit in a Kia Soul. 18x26" bass drum, 3 floor toms. snare case, pedal, cymbal, hardware bags. I do not use cases (other than the 2 snares) to haul this in the Soul. The back seats fold FLAT. In one band I use a 16x26 13,16,18 and it is NO problem to fit it in the Soul. Great gas...
  7. KarlCrafton

What's your latest purchase?

I had my friend Billy Baker make this shell up for me. Black Nickel over brass. Put it together last night. Badge to match the rest of my gear. I will NEVER sell this drum! I've never had a straight shelled metal snare. It sounds amazing!
  8. KarlCrafton

Do you plan on buying yourself anything drum-related for Christmas?

So, they WON'T put a "regular" Monroe badge on anymore, is that correct? I'm in the same boat as you are then if I want to add anything. As to the question, yes I'll get something for myself. I just have to decide what that might be haha!
  9. KarlCrafton

Paiste 602 - 22" China?

I doubt many shops would have that in stock. It's a pretty expensive item for most shops to carry and not just order for someone. Not really something a customer would just walk in and buy, unless they were looking for it specifically. If you dig the sound, the one you get will be really close...
  10. KarlCrafton

Tama Dyna-Sync reviews?

I am now considering getting a single Dyna-Sync. I've had the Eliminators for however long they have been out (original, red line) but I really dig the D-S pedal. Tama just has a different feel to them.
  11. KarlCrafton

Nicko McBrain leaves Sonor - article.

I'd agree, normally a god awful finish, but I'm sure it goes with the staging, so, there you go. As for moving companies, he'd obviously feel BDC had something to offer that Sonor wasn't. Nicko also played Premier drums for quite a while too, so I'm not really "shocked" to hear he's changed brands.
  12. KarlCrafton

Does this bass drum make me look small?

None of it looks off in any way IMO. The lady behind you is looking at your butt. You might need a lawyer for that.
  13. KarlCrafton

Moral dilemma

I get wanting to play in different things, but, you'll be better off, and happier if you let everyone know up front. Almost everyone I play with is also in other groups that play gigs. We just see if everyone is available, and if not, no big deal.
  14. KarlCrafton

A "chicken or the egg" discussion

My first "real" pedal was a used Speed King. I used a bunch before having the Eliminator (original & red line). I never noticed until one day I happened to have the SK and Eliminator next to each other-- I had the footboard of the Eliminator at pretty much the same angle as the Speed King has...
  15. KarlCrafton

Which LM402?

My '89 BB is a Bronze shell, and came with a tone control. A tone control is an option today, but "standard" is no tone control. Ludwig snares all had the tone control until they became unwanted sometime in the 90's or so. A COB shell will be heavier than the Aluminum 402. The big sound...