Recent content by KamaK

1. K

Real Gretsch drums or no?

That kit is a steal at $1200 Last things to look out for? That the kit wasn't literally a steal. That you don't get robbed and shot over $1200 cash in your pocket.
  2. K

Home Recording Studio...

Hi Wendy, and welcome. New topics generally start a new thread. Since you're here: Is your son a child or a youth? What is your budget? What instrument(s) does your son play? Does he possess have a Mac/PC/smartphone/tablet? (That he may use for the purpose of recording music)
  3. K

Real Gretsch drums or no?

Blackhawks. What was their other economy line.. The "Energy" or something? The Renegade?
  4. K

Music stand that clamps on drum rack?

Almost any multiclamp (with the correct sizing) will suffice. There are even Rack specific ones.
  5. K

Found the secret to cleaning cymbals

A clean dry towel, followed by a damp warm towel, followed by a clean dry towel.
  6. K

Rooms/stages that you've played

I've played stages that sound one way during soundcheck, and sounded completely different once the room is full of people. I've played a stage where the amplifier hum would change with the tide. It was on a pier, and the ground impedance would change as the water level changed.
  7. K

Do you control your own stage mix?

The only untold down-side of the Presonus stuff is the awkward two-day "let's figure this technology shit out" period with the rest of the band. It really requires everyone's full commitment and attention. Once all of the scenes are created/saved, and everyone is sorted, it's autopilot for...
  8. K

Do you control your own stage mix?

+1 for Presonus and iPhone
  9. K

Advice On PA System for Drums

My standard answer: Two Yamaha powered tops, at least one (preferably two) powered bottom, one mixer, poles/stands. Tops need to be at least 12". Bass bin needs to be at least 15". Your budget is going to require you buy used, and I recommend the GC used section.
  10. K

Starclassic or Neusonic?

Not that I know of. This is more an attestation of Tama's legendary durability than a suggestion that Ludwig has a shortcoming.
  11. K

Starclassic or Neusonic?

The entire reason behind the "sounds great in GC" is that the Neusonic is a low mass kit, and will sound better in an acoustic setting than a commodity kit. We're comparing an acoustic instrument to an instrument taylored for amplification. IE: My Yamaha acoustic guitar sounds better than my...
  12. K

Starclassic or Neusonic?

Indeed... I don't think that Ludwig knows anymore either. It's fair to say that the Neusonic is a bit heavier than competing low-mass kits and lighter than competing standard-mass kits. Akin to what Pearl does with their fiberglass offering. Personally, if I wanted a modern low-mass kit...
  13. K

Starclassic or Neusonic?

StarClassics are a standard mass kit. These compete with pretty much every other standard weight kit. Neusonics are a low-mass kit. They compete with other low-mass kits by GeorgeWay, INDe, and Pearl's fiberglass offerings. Before you begin ranking kits based on preference, you might want to...
  14. K

Snare Wires

For almost all snare drums, I usually start with a generic Gibraltar 20-strand and work from there. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC4467--gibraltar-brass-snare-wires-14-inch-20-strand Once I hear what a drum does with the generic, I can make decisions regarding number of strands and...
  15. K

Mapex Saturn Evolution or INDe Drums

I went with the George Way. I wanted low mass, but couldn't cost-justify a Guru or talk Andy into doing gloss black. I liked what Josh did with Ludwig's Signet and it came down to whether I wanted GW's vintage swag or INDe's nouveau/modern aesthetic. I went with the GW because I'm an old fart...