Recent content by justjim

1. J

foot operated wood-block

sort of new territory for me here With woodblock I know there are the LP-style kick pedal beater options and I've seen a few simpler pedal and dowel type things (though i couldn't name one) for this. anyone have experience/insight into the solutions for example : does the bass drum kick pedal...
  2. J

been playing with a Pearl Symphonic Snare

I must say I'm sucked in There's really a lot you can get out of it While, I suppose the triple strainer is, maybe, a bit complex BUT that, combined with what seems to me to be a drum that really tunes well and is responsive to those changes in both the heads and the snare tension and how they...
  3. J

timbales with drum key style tuning

timbales with drum key / "top" style tuning?? I know LP makes a line (the prestige) anybody else make em? (Im thinking full on timbales like a 13-15 macho as opposed to timbalitos or trapkit adjuncts)
  4. J

Went to McCoy Tyner last night

got to sit oh, abt 3-4 ft from Eric Kamau Gravatt it was a pretty intense show (we had tix for the early set, but were allowed to stay for both sets) The wife kept asking him stuff - he's a pretty dry wit wife : "If I come up to Minn will you give me a lesson? EKG : "I don't teach" wife ...
  5. J

just a curiosity - strnage very shallow travel kit

Saw a busker the other day with some sort of travel kit - all the drums were EXTREMELY shallow and the shells (if you can call them that at that point - more like "head mounting rings :D) looked like maybe they were a plastic or a composite actually it looked rotomolded eh, I don't have much...
  6. J

just for thinkering fun - is this available?

OK, One thing I like about drums is just the fun of messing around with bits and pieces I know there have been a couple of small-batch and homebrew solutions over the years with throttle cable assembles, etc but does anyone sell a foot-operated snare throw-off? I just thought it might be a...
  7. J

conversion of floor tom to tenor/"ballad" snare

so abt a month ago, I was playing around with a detuned snare as a deep side snare (playing it almost in floor tom fashion in a groove) and enjoyed the hell out of it I know DW makes a 16" snare (one just went on ebay for quite a fair price..sadly it wasn't me) and I dig there are a few older...
  8. J

Square v Under-square floor tom dimensions

Thoughts? do you guys really notice much difference (in tone? in projection? in sensitivity?)
  9. J

Rototom tuning ranges

so been thinking about new toys for the wife. she plays piano as well and she likes lots of tom options (I'm sort of the other way, but I'm still working on just becoming solid) -- so I thought she might like some tuned skins (she sometimes tries to pick out little melodies on her toms as it...
  10. J

suggestions on a dark snare

hey guys so for my primary snare I'm using a 14x5 pearl free floater copper and I'm pretty happy with it (or just used to it :D ) so anyway, the other day I was messing about and was able to reach over near the wife's kit where she had a Pearl Export snare (14x5 wood, though I don't know the...
  11. J

drum machine/SW as practice-play along

hey! (I guess is the right sub forum) can anyone recommend a machne or SW package to use as a practice-play along device? basically, program in a figure and let the little guy do a mechanical version of the beat to which I can play along/against (and adjust tempo!) being a practice tool I...
  12. J

The Big Kits vs. Small Kits Debate

I guess that's the thing - even beyond the variables - we don't really have anything TO resolve (ie question is largely undefined as it's, at most, qualitative) - there's no problem, just peeps and the shit they do (I guess we could say the solution set s the same size as the population set) I...
  13. J

Mounting boom cymbal stand to Peal style bass

Mounting boom cymbal stand to Pearl style bass hi! first post, beginner -- BUT I did use the search function before asking ;) (which probably had the nswer, but not being as familiar with all the ins and outs, some of it was a bit over my head) anyway, I'm wishing to mount a boom cymbal stand...
Back