Recent content by justadrummer

1. justadrummer

Uninformed Drummer Dad | Snare Question

It is a chrome plated brass shell, the hoops are die cast, it has been available since the 1960s. I've owned several over the years. It is a super versatile snare, you can find nice examples reasonably priced.
  2. justadrummer

Uninformed Drummer Dad | Snare Question

You are a great dad. Welcome to the forum! A 16" Zildjian K Custom would complete his cymbal setup, honestly he'd really never "need" any other cymbals. On the other hand, a lot of us like having multiple snare drums for various situations. I second the recommendation for a Gretsch COB model...
  3. justadrummer

Ever regret buying a drumset?

Abouht eight years ago I bought a Rogers Dayton kit for a good price. When I brought it home and took it apart I realized that the seller might have overstated it's condition. Shame on me for not catching the issues. I took the kit apart and cleaned them up, installed new heads, and pondered...
  4. justadrummer

Old vs. new

I like your reply and agree. As a lifelong car geek I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that four wheel disc brakes became standard on the Corvette in 1965. ;) I agree with the analogy though. :D
  5. justadrummer

The Time I Met Alice Cooper

You have a very cool dad!
  6. justadrummer

Need some advice

Instead of Remo Silent Stroke heads I use Aquarian Super Pad practice pads on my kit. You install them over your existing heads, and you can remove them easily when you want to use the kit with regular heads. The other thing is that they feel more like real heads, which is what made me go with them.
  7. justadrummer

Old vs. new

The USA Custom uses the "recipe" that they have used since the late fifties, a six ply maple/gum shell, silver sealer and die cast hoops. It is the most familiar and famous version of Gretsch drums, and the one that I chose to buy. I owned a 1960s "Round Badge" Gretsch. I sold it after I got the...
  8. justadrummer

Old vs. new

I've owned a bunch of vintage Gretsch and Slingerland kits over the years. I think that Gretsch cops the vintage vibe very well. We'll have to wait and see how DW captures the vintage Slingerland vibe. As for Ludwig, I've never owned a kit made them, so I'm not the person to ask.
  9. justadrummer

Old vs. new

Hmm... I have vintage and modern cymbals. I mix and match, have no concern regarding using them in any situation. Of the thirty seven snare drums that I own, eleven of them are vintage. Of those eleven, ten are ready to gig at any time. (I need to fuss with the strainer on my COB Dynasonic...)...
  10. justadrummer

What ultimately made you decide on the brand of drums you play?

In the 1970s every local drummer that I knew was either playing Ludwigs or wanted to be playing Ludwigs. But... Buddy Rich was playing Slingerland at the time. Krupa had played Slingerland. Danny Seraphine of Chicago played Slingerland. Neal Smith of Alice Cooper played Slingerland. Nigel...
  11. justadrummer

Another one of "those guys" on Craigslist.................

I play bass as well as drums. About eight years ago I saw a bass on Craigslist that I was interested in. On Friday the seller wanted $250. By Monday he wanted $200. Wednesday it was $150. Thursday it was $125. On Friday he must have gotten paid, he wanted $250. Monday it was $200 again...
  12. justadrummer

Glass glitter wrap

I'm a fan of Glass Glitter wraps for their look and durability. I bought my DW Collector's Series kit brand new in 2008 with a "Broken Glass finish. (Silver Glass glitter.) I gigged it a lot over the years, and it still looks like new. This photo is from 2017, At this point I had gigged them...
  13. justadrummer

What piece of gear has spoiled you?

I'll go the other way on this. I had a cheap throne that I put up with for fifteen or so years, even though I played nice kits. When I finally got a decent throne I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.
  14. justadrummer

Got nicknames?

I've played in bands with great bass players, I tolerated this guy for years. I play bass, although drums are my primary instrument. I once stated that he was the fourth best bassist in the band. (A five piece band.) The lead guitarist, drummer (me), and sound men were actual bass players...
  15. justadrummer

Got nicknames?

No, "Freakin' Idiot" was an absolutely talentless bass player.