Recent content by jornthedrummer

1. jornthedrummer

Good to know.

Have you fully recovered by now Andy? Not completely relevant to the topic, but Marco Minnemann said in one of this YouTube videos that a way to check if an independence exercise is mastered is the ability to speak while doing it. Then it’s muscle memory already.
  2. jornthedrummer

Mic'ing drums, do you need tom mics?

I usually close mike + overheads and Glyn Johns at the same time. 9 out of 10 times I use the Glyn Johns setup only. It just sounds more natural. I play classic rock and blues. Cascade Fat Head II ribbons centered over the snare and another one over the floor pointing to the snare. SM57 on...
  3. jornthedrummer

What Recorded Snare Sound Do You Like?

There’s many I like. But Stairway To Heaven is a well tuned and recorded snare drum that stands out to me.
  4. jornthedrummer

Why do you Play?

In my case it’s like this: - I love the friendship and socializing in a band and with musicians in general - I love to perform for a crowd - I love to challenge myself and make a song happen right there on the spot. I play a lot in a jam band. - I love the equipment and sound side, good drums...
  5. jornthedrummer

Symmetrical Set Up

Tried this a few years ago. Only 22” cymbals. Was cool, but the DW remote hat doesn’t sit well between the 2 bass drum beaters.
  6. jornthedrummer

Most Important Sounds Like a Drum Episode Ever

I discovered those way too late.
  7. jornthedrummer

Gate advice on kick and snare

For recording into a DAW, using hardware gates is a bad idea: 1. If set it wrong, you may lose some beats on the way in 2. Most DAWs have gates included or you can download free plugins. 3. DAW gates usually have a ‘Look forward’ functionality so you don’t lose the start of the transient...
  8. jornthedrummer

XLR cable through bass drum vent hole

Tritto. Works well.
  9. jornthedrummer

Would you play gigs with it ?

I have around 12 kits, some of them rare and collectible. They all get used in my home studio, but I only gig a 4 piece Premier Genista with a 20” kick or an up to 7 piece Tama Hyperdrive Duo. Both fairly new. it’s not so much a question of damage and scratches, but more getting sounds fast...
  10. jornthedrummer

Udrilled,virgin base drum pros&cons

Mount is better. You can use it, or not use it. It reduces setup time in my opinion. I doubt anyone can hear if a kick is mounted or un-mounted.
  11. jornthedrummer

Floor tom sounds choked, do any of those leg attachments work?

I like the Pearl feet too. check the diameter of the floor tom legs. The Pearl feet fits the smaller diameter ones. 10mm I think. I have squeezed in 12mm Gretsch legs. But they like to pop out or the rubber cracks.
  12. jornthedrummer

List of boutique builders

Limousine Drums, Denmark. https://drumlimousine.dk/ Varus Custom Drums. Italy. https://varusdrums.com/ Both good stuff.
  13. jornthedrummer

Who’s Old?

Have a good one!
  14. jornthedrummer

How's everyone holding up?

Im an expat in Malaysia. Last week we finished a 7 week period where we could only go out for food shopping or medical assistance. I only left the house once during this time. Financially I’m fine, and coped well with the 7 weeks. No gigs for the foreseeable future, but it’s just a hobby anyway...
  15. jornthedrummer

Selling on Ebay vs. Reverb-Pros/Cons? Ebay is just atrocious for selling anymore..............

I’m in Malaysia and have 1108 purchasing transactions on eBay. Mostly drum stuff from USA. ‘overall it’s worked well for me. I don’t think even a single parcel was lost. I unfairly lost a couple of disputes though. Most memorable one was a ‘crack free’ cymbal that arrived with at least 5...