Recent content by jimmyt905

1. J

Anyone have a drum (or other instrument) signed by anyone famous?

I've got a Fratellis album signed by the band. They've gone and fizzled out.
  2. J

Anyone have a drum (or other instrument) signed by anyone famous?

I once contacted a drum dealer that was recommended through an antiques dealer. He said he would send me a pair of drumsticks that were owned by Ringo Starr, but it came without a certificate - for £500. The dealer was recommended and had a good reputation apparently. I didn't get the sticks...
  3. J

Your personal least favorite set you actually owned.

The first kit I ever bought was sold to me by a so-called reputable drum dealer. It wasn't fit for purpose and had the bottom lugs for the toms missing. There was no skins on the other side of the toms, just the tackle end. It sounded absolutely horrible and he sold it to me for £300. It was...
  4. J

Considering switching to drums...

At the beginning when you're jamming watching other people, obviously you should go by the lessons you have learned on the drums. But it's a good idea to start jamming with the guitarist - getting in line with the guitarist as well as the bass player when doing your own original songs. This...
  5. J

Considering switching to drums...

I tried to learn guitar for ages until I realized that it was eating into playing the drums which is something I found more enjoyable and was better at playing. While I love the sound of guitar solos, I grew to hate learning to play the guitar and could only play blues scale in the same key...
  6. J

What are your favorite albums?

In no particular order: The Police (1st Album) Room on Fire - The Strokes Black Sabbath, Paranoid - Black Sabbath Who's Next, Quadraphenia, Live At Leeds - The Who Rumours - Fleetwood Mac Wheels of Fire - Cream LA Woman, Morrison Hotel - The Doors Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Animals...
  7. J

Best starter E-Kit for working with a DAW that has the closest feel to drums.

Hah, thanks folks. Just sold my electric guitar. I had previously sold my old drum kit, now I'm saving up a few more quid so I can get the e-kit. While I love listening the guitar, grew to hate learning how to play it. I much prefer drums and I was in danger of spreading my skills too thinly...
  8. J

Ok thanks Nick. I really want something I can work with my DAW on the computer.
  9. J

State your unpopular drumming opinions

Buddy Rich sounds like a drill.
  10. J

Thanks for the recommendation electrodrummer. Those options are certainly worth thinking about.
  11. J

Thanks for the recommendations guys - I might go for a second hand Roland D9 if I can get it. They're pretty hard to find.
  12. J

Hardest “simple” things to play on drums

Stewart Copeland's drum beats. Some of them sound simple but are deceptively difficult in their preciseness and sharpness - and the fact he mixes up what would be a regular time signature. Some of the songs by The Police sound easy to play when listening to them until you want to play them the...
  13. J

Just wondering what the best budget E-kit to get is for around £500 - £800 that would work with recording onto computer that has the closest feel to drums? I don't mind looking at older models if they are cheaper. I realize I need to get a practice kit in the house for practicing covers etc...
  14. J

Big Youtuber hires 10 different drummers to accompany his bass groove. VERY interesting.

True, it was a bit of misplaced venting there. I've had a drink. :)
  15. J

INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Hi guys, I don't think I've posted this, since I was asking a few questions on sound engineering, I thought it apt to post a wee bit about myself. Real name? James (or Jimmy) Age? 40 How long have you been playing? On and off since I was 16. Origin of user name? Based on the Who song 905 - the...
Back