Recent content by jimb

1. J

Three mics only?

Watched a Hollies doc last nite which showed a lot of late sixties live footage..Great live band but it was the the drum sound which stood out, big, baggy and crisp.....oh and miced up with just two overheads and a bass drum mic. Im also pretty sure that's all they used in the studio as well...
  2. J

Are you a scruncher or a spreader?

Scrunched to the max. I don't do big blousy solos or many fills and use trad grip so Im tucked in real tight....Using ur whole arn to crash down with is energy wasted imo.
  3. J

Is Hal Blaine as influential as Ringo?

Neither infuenced me at all but they are both hugely interesting musicians. (As a kid Gadson and JR Robinson were my heros...Yep, I like straight solid and simple drumming.) Ringo was very creative and enabled some incredibly original melodic writing to rise to the top, playing for and enhancing...
  4. J

Aside from being the appointed "Keepers of all that is Time"...

Nothing! Im a Prima Donna A1 Diva and expect to be treated in the highest regard!...haha.
  5. J

Most drummers would agree it’s important to have a solid foundation in good drumming technique. But what is that foundation, and how do you get it?

Out on a sort of limb here...but for me its hi-hat/ride control as a rythmn instrument. U hit the hats way more than any other piece of equipment...or as in jazz...the ride.
  6. J

Ridiculous bands or events that you opened for OR opened for you

Not to be rude to any band from the 70's but at a medium sized summer fest few yrs back we were third in front of Boney M!..... Weird.
  7. J

Fire singer or leave band?

Spent a lifetime trying to figure this one. Some singers who are a bit off have charisma so it dont matter what they sound like...Boy George is a good eg of this....and there are others too but some people just sound outta tune and awful. Was in a band years ago, grt rocking tunes, good...
  8. J

Was classic rock drumming sort of abandoned?

Well, Chinny - Chapp were the writers and Mickey Most the producer and they loved using session players....did they play? Do we know?
  9. J

Was classic rock drumming sort of abandoned?

Paicy is a superb old school drummer and that swing is the magic sauce which is so difficult to figure. This modern way of playing sounds like smashing rocks to me.....
  10. J

Soloing; are you into it?

Totaly. I dislike drum solos, period...I dont understnd them, never have. Imo they kill the groove stone dead. Sppose it all strarted with Buddy Rich who was a showman....A drum solo without a showman playing it is pointless.
  11. J

Soloing; are you into it?

Nope, can barely play a fill, Im a metronome....quite like sloshing the hats, probably over do it really.
  12. J

Is it worth the time investment to develop traditional grip to play jazz?

Im shallow as hell. I play trad cause it looks cool. Admittedly I find it easy and natural so Im lucky but I've still no interest in match.....it ain't cool and kinda looks like someone smashing rocks where to me trad looks like a an interesting musical technique....
  13. J

Pre stage munchy

Often Im so pumped I forget but I always have water with a dash of bi-carbonate in it to replace stuff. Oh and can I ask we all use re-usable bottles for our water plse...The planet'll and ur grandkids'll thank you. Cheers.
  14. J

Is it worth the time investment to develop traditional grip to play jazz?

Personally trad just feels right, feels kinda accurate and I like not moving my arm much...Cant imagine playing jazz match style with all that arm movement.
  15. J

What piece of gear didn't live up to expectation.

Paiste 2002 18" crash. Dull as dishwater against my green label 505. Sold it (the 2002)
Back